1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SPB-4 vs. Lollar Over Wound

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JN8642, May 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    Hey there,

So after getting help from the folks of TB, I ordered the SPB-4's that I've yet to put in. Initially I was looking for a medium output pickup that would play well with my effects. Currently have G&L MFD's but they push my drives and fuzz pedals wayyyy too hard.

Originally I was looking at the 4's and the SPB-2's but the 2's to my ears sounded a smidge too hot and then I saw the video posted below. The Lollar over wounds so a little milder than the 2's but not my much and I know you can't fully trust YouTube but the Lollar over wound's sound exactly like what I'm looking for. A little hotter than the 4's but not as hot as the 2's. I know I might be completely wrong on this assumption.

To those of you that have tried both (Or those who have tried something similar to the 4's), is that assumption correct, are the Lollar over wounds hotter?

2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Go audition a Fender Steve Harris signature Precision. Then trade your G&L in on it. Problem solved. While you are there trade in your current amp and pedalboard for a brand spanking new Fender Rumble Stage 800. So many many problems solved in one little post. Damn, I'm good! :D Just say Fender Please! :woot: :bassist:

3. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    It's hard to compare without having both in the same bass with the same set up.
    Both PUs are based on overwinding a vintage alnico 5 bass PU, vintage spec is usually in the 10.5-11K area. Not knowing the other important details like inductance and resonant peaks, you are only left with just the resistance. They are both Alnico 5 magnets, the resistance of the Lollar is 12.7K, the Harris 13K. All things being equal, the Harris would be presumably hotter, but they are so close that I don't think it would be all that noticeable. A small turn of the pickup height screws would even the levels out.
    I personally would choose between the two wholly based on price. I know Lollar winds great pickups, but I also know the Duncan P pickups are also great. The SPB-1 is pretty much the defacto standard, catch-all pickup (much like the Lollar standard wind). The SPB-4 is an overwound SPB-1.
    I would stick with your SPB-4 choice. It's guaranteed to work better with your drives than the MFDs.

Rolling Thunder and Zoobiedood like this.
  4. JN8642

JN8642

Aug 19, 2015
    That makes sense, thank you very much for your help! I'm still learning about pickup magnets and resistance and such

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021