Speak to me of banjos!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Eyescream, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Mom and I have decided we're going to get my dad one for his birthday. I, being the musician (sic) in the house, have been charged with deciding what banjo to get him. I've spoken to a few of the bluegrass guys I know around here about a manufacturer named Deering, and they said that for the money it's a good instrument.

Then I found and played one at GC, and from what I could tell is put out a nice, strong sound without a lot of work (compared to a Rogue I played that it felt like I was kind of fighting the sound out of).

Is this Deering a good banjo for a beginner to hang onto for a few years without having to worry about upgrading? I wager he'll never be on a stage playing, but for him to learn on and play with at the house or whatever, it should be alright, right?

If you like, offer other suggestions under $500 (which is what we decided our limit would be. I don't see any reason to entertain the thought of getting him a $5,000 Gibson banjo). What about Fender banjos? Are they any good?
  2. go with deering. good solid instrument. GREAT for a beginner. he can have that thing forever.
  3. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That is totally what I wanted to hear. :)

Oh, for what it's worth, I'm talking specifically about this one.
  4. ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    You might want to check out the "goodtime 2". It's still in your price range. The big difference is the "2" is closed back / resonator style - which will give you a louder, more cutting sound. This is usually the preference for bluegrass players.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Deering makes banjos in all price ranges. You can get a $10,000 Deering if you want. They're made in San Diego (Spring Valley, actually), as are Taylor Guitars and Azola Basses, so they must be great. Of course, Carvin manufactures their stuff in Dago, too, so I don't know what to say.

6. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I wondered what the difference was, as musician's friend didn't say anything regarding specifics and I hadn't gotten around to trying to find deering's site.

Thanks for the information, guys. I'm cool with the goodtime 2, but ultimately all I can do is offer advice. Whether it gets followed or not is beyond me. :)
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mildly off-topic: did anyone catch the Dean guitar-tuned twelve string banjo on clearance in the new MF flyer? Bizzare!
  8. oh. that reminds me.... lark in the morning sells all sorts of whacky banjos. www.larkinthemorning.com
    much like the 12 string banjitar HD mentioned, along with banjolin's, 6 string banjitars, bass banjitars etc.

fun stuff.
  9. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    They've got highland pipes, too! Awesome!
  10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The Goodtime 2 would be a GREAT way to go! We can barely keep them in stock as beginning banjos. Try to find a local dealer, though. MF doesn't send out thier banjos set-up, and as a beginner, you DO NOT want to have to do that!
  11. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    There's a place here that pretty much specializes in traditional/bluegrass type instruments (I know, I was amazed to find one in Tennessee, too), and we'll either get it from them or take it to them for setup. They really know their ****.