Speak to me YOU LITTLE BASTARD!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowbrow, May 17, 2021.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    It's possible that it's a defective tube, but less likely because a good number of tube failures are from rough handling (and sometimes aggressive circuit design).

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    If I remember correctly, you did mention slapping it around a bit...not really good for the tubes.

3. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Sarcastic reference to my lack of subtlety and sophistication. It’s true that I’ve ‘fixed’ amps this way, but only desperate on-stage situations with my old Yamaha SS head that responded to having its right side lifted 4 inches or so and dropped back down on the top of the speaker cab. Trial and error.

Wasnex likes this.
  4. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    STATUS UPDATE: Replaced all 3 preamp tubes and The Little Bastard is BACK! Thanks to all for your help and guidance -- glad it was just that easy.

Last edited: May 26, 2021
    707GK and Sid Fang like this.
  5. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I bet you find that 2 of the 3 that you replaced are perfectly good.

Wasnex and Sid Fang like this.
  6. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    Likely, but I wouldn't be able to tell which one that was anyway. I'm just happy it's all better for $35.

7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Sure you can, that's exactly what substituting each tube, one at a time, is all about.

Wasnex likes this.
  8. Lowbrow

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    LOWBROW USE ELEPHANT GUN ;)

Wasnex and agedhorse like this.
  9. rickdog

rickdog Gold Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2010
    :roflmao:

You know those old tubes are hazardous electronic waste... send them all to me, I'll ensure they are disposed of responsibly at no charge to you! :D

Lowbrow, Sid Fang and agedhorse like this.
  10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021