Speaker Advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tonrutoo, Mar 19, 2006.

1. tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    I have a Mesa Buster 1x15 combo.
    I'd like to find an alternative to the EV15L (400 watt,8 ohm) speaker.
    Also,I just ordered a Mesa Scout Neomydium 15" rated at 300 watts in a 4 ohm.Is there any problem with dropping this one into the Buster or would I run into cabinet tuning problems?
    Thanks for any advice.
    (I figured I'd get more out of the lower spec Neo speaker,but please enlighten me.)
  2. tadawson

Aug 24, 2005
    Lewisville, TX
    A lot of folks regard the EVM series Electro Voice drivers as some of the best out there. I am curious as to why you are looking to make a change . . . .

- Tim
  3. tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Actually it would've made sense if I had explained:
    As I understand it,EV doesn't make this specific model(15L) any more.I'd like to know if anything similar is being produced.
    If so I can then decide if I should just run the thing till it's wore out,or preserve it and put the work load on a commonly available speaker.
    Since I consider replacing the EV for preservations sake,and figuring/assuming a 300 watt neo- speaker would be a nice match for Busters power rating,i was wondering about how sensitive this cab configuration is for single speaker switch outs?
    I'm packaging toward a 30" scale bass I'm having built.
    tone characters:
    1-DR Sunbeams Tite-Fit strings
    2-Basslines '51 p-bass Quarter Pounder single coil pup
    3-Hard heavy body and neck woods
    4-A couple of fancy NOS 12ax7s
    5-Stainless frets and through body single string bridges.
    Also have a Mesa V-Twin to dial up a few more options.
    While this may seem like a narrow range,I'm also controlling the drums(size and type),and guitar and amp that will be matched up with this bass package.I'm looking to write at most 20 songs through this collection.
    Thanks again for any advice.