1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker advise

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass nazi, Aug 19, 2012.

1. bass nazi

bass nazi

Dec 3, 2005
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    Guys,

I recently bought a vintage Kustom tuck-and-roll 250 head and 2/15 cabinet.
    The cabinet was loaded with the standard 15" drivers, which I believe are CTS.
    And although they are in good condition and still work, they are not the best sounding.

I considered buying some JBL D140F's, but they run around $250ea + shipping for a working unit, and $75 + shipping for a blown unit + $140 + shipping for a recone. So I would have to invest more than $500 just to replace the speakers.

I checked with Orange County Speaker, and they suggested the Eminence Commonwealth 15, but reviews I have read say this is more a guitar speaker than a bass speaker.

I also considered an Eminence Delta Lite II 2515, but some of the reviews on it are not that favorable, and I'm not sure how it would sound in this setup.

Then there is the Eminence Delta 15, which I have in my vintage Acoustic 406 cabinet and I am really happy with.
    They are not that expensive and brought the 406 back to life.

I was thinking about pulling the Delta's out of the 406 cab, and installing them into the Kustom cab to see how they sound.

Is there another speaker that would sound good in this rig that I have not yet considered?

Thanks!

2. I put a pair of Delta15's into a Kustom cab like yours and it sounded reasonable for old-school classic rock and country.

This cab is OK but not built all that solid and it's a little small.

3. bass nazi

bass nazi

Dec 3, 2005
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    Thanks nashvillebill,

The band I play in is old school classic rock.
    I have not really used the Kustom rig yet with the band.
    My gig rig is a newer Kustom Groove Bass 1200, with (2) 2/12 Avatar cabs.
    I get great tone from it, but I want to trade back and forth between it and the vintage tuck-and-roll rig just for fun.

I am so used to my usual rig that I am not happy with the tone from the original 15" speakers in the vintage rig.

My Acoustic rig (220 head and 406 cabinet) sounds fantastic with the Delta's, but I am afraid of turning the Kustom into a duplicate, thus defeating having three distinctly different sounding/looking rigs.

Thanks for the input.

4. bass nazi

bass nazi

Dec 3, 2005
    Carlsbad, Ca.