1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker and wiring options/advice for an Ampeg 410hlf cabinet.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gjbassist, Apr 10, 2015.

1. A few weeks ago I bought an SVT 410hlf cabinet off CL. I knew it was in need of some TLC and I'm on vacation this week so I finally opened it up today so I can strip it and paint it with Duratex. Boy is it mixed up mess inside! Dr. Frankenstein would be proud! I was aware that the tweeter was not hooked up and that the crossover had been removed. I also knew that two of the speakers had been replaced with Peavey speakers.
    So here is what I have: two 8 ohm Peavey Scorpion S-10825-B speakers, one 32 ohm Eminence Legend B810 speaker and one original (I think) 4 ohm speaker, also made by Eminence. These were wired together directly to a 1/4" jack.
    I'm not sure what the best route to go is with this? I could keep it the way it is, which actually sounded good but I know is not the right way to do it. I could ditch all four speakers and start from scratch. I could keep the one 4 ohm speaker and get three more or I could keep the two 8 ohm Peavey drivers and get two more 8 ohm speakers. I don't really care if the tweeter is hooked up but it would be nice since it has the attenuator. Thoughts?

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Kind of costly to replace all 4 speakers unless you find a deal from someone who parted one out. But that's what I would do...replace them with OEM speakers. Heritage Eminence speakers if you can swing the extra dough, Chinese Eminences if you can't. The old US Eminences from SLM are too dark for my tastes, and the newer ones have mellowed out that extreme low end some and added back some mids.

3. I found a couple of places with Eminence Legend BP102 drivers on sale for under $68. I already have a DIY cab I recently finished with a pair of those in it. I could swap out those for the two Peavey Scorpions and then order two more of the Eminence drivers to use in the 410. Or I could try to sell all the speakers from the 410 and start over. The Peavey speakers look to be well made and they sound good. Someone is selling just the baskets on Ebay for $76 each so I ought to be able to get a bit for them.

4. Watch what you are doing with that 4Ω driver in the mix.It would be easy to go below the 4Ω minimum of a lot of SS amplifiers.