1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker break-in?????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by TONYTHOMAS1956, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Ive noticed a lot of remarks made about speakers "breaking in".
    I just bought a Avatar 4x10 Neo and a Avatar 1x15 cab setup and was wondering how long this usally takes? Thankx.

2. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    I've heard it takes about 20-25 hours for full break in. (I may be way off, but that's what I've heard)

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    well,

while some cabs do start to sound better as they "open" up more, i only break in cabs to prolong the life of the speakers in the cab.

breaking in the speakers allows the surrounds to mold nice and easy to their respective cones. IMHO, stressing the cones with super wattage'd bursts of peak power will only shorten their lifespan.

playing as often as you can at a moderate to low volume is what i recommend. but if you have a mixer and power amp handy, running an iPod with bass heavy music thru the cabs while you do chores around the house and whatnot is another great way of breaking in a cab. takes a bit longer, but at least you stay productive. ;)

4. I don't think there is a hard and fast number but typically I have found that about 12 hours or so is where you really start to hear a speaker coming in. After 16 or 18 hours is where you'll really be hearing what you bought!! LOL! Keep in mind that this varies by speaker too! For instance, I think 10's tend to come in quicker than 12's or 15's. My NV610 was SWEET after about 8 hours or so and has been ever since. Seems like it gets better everytime I play it!!

Peace,

T

5. I agree with this as well and can only add that I do this to every cab I get. I send a summed mono signal through the cab at a MODERATE level, the idea is to let the cones move without sending them to extremes!! I typically will send audio through mine for AT LEAST 4-6 hours before I play through them if at all possible......

Peace,

T

6. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    I'm no expert but it always struck me that breaking in speakers was a bit of an old wives tail. I guess it makes sence... but why go out of your way to "break it in" when you can just use it. It will break itself in. Just don't do anything stupid like pushing it to the max.

7. THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES.

8. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    San Diego
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    What Joker and Tommixx said. Break them in - you won't be sorry.

Lonnybass

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Break-in softens up the suspension so that the driver fs will go down to spec. Some drivers need it, some don't, though even the ones that don't will soften over time and the fs will drop further. You can break them in like I do, with a 30Hz sine wave at 10 volts for 24 hours, which accelerates the process, or you can just play through the box, either way you'll be fine.

10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    how do you that, bill? what kind of gear would i need?

and will the low humming in my ear as i sleep drive me crazy in doing so? :p

11. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    All you need is a tone generator, which you can download into a PC, and an amp, but you do this with the raw driver, not a loaded cab, otherwise you'll lose a lot more than sleep. Think neighbors with torches and pitchforks.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    ahh,

thx bill. guess i'll stick w/ my iPod and the best of bros. johnson.

13. I RECIEVED THESE CABS FROM AVATAR AND THE SOUND GREAT EXCEPT FOR ANY THING ABOVE C SOUNDS THIN AND ANYTHING BELOW IS FULL AS YOU COULD EVER WANT. MY QUESTION IS, HAS ANYONE ELSE HAD THIS TO HAPPEN? IM JUST WONDERING IF THE ACCUSTICS OF THE ROOM PLAY A FACTOR. ITS A MAKE SHIFT ANIMAL HOUSE SETTING, NOT REALLY SET UP FOR BANDS.

14. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    If break in is important, I wonder if some cabinet manufacturers do it at all? It's easier for the manufacturer to do like Bill stated, while it's not loaded.

Of course not! Not even the expensive boutique cabinets. Which means, if you try a cabinet in a showroom, expect it to change after some real use. Which is why I like the 45day trials.