Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Buzz/distortion???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mikemulcahy, Feb 26, 2001.

1. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Since one of my amps let go, i have had a hum/distortion in my 18's. I took them out checked the impedence(6.3 ohms) and checked them with a battery and the voice coil is still attached. I only get the noise when i hit a note, otherwise it is silent.

Whatcha think?

Mike

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, did you take it out of the cab before testing, to eliminate the possibility of rattling cab components?

3. eep, I have the same exact prob with one of my speakers in my genz benz 212t-xb. I try not to turn it up much b/c the buzz/slight distortion doesn't sound to healthy!

4. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Yes i took them both out before testing, event changes amps to eliminate that componant as well, SOS.

5. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Bump, I really need some answers on this.

Mike

6. Seems like the coil is scraping against the magnet assembly. Try moving the cone gently with your fingers, if it scrapes, you got a blown center spider (which centers the coil) or a damaged surround (which centers the cone). If you can find a place to push where the scraping isn't there, the damage may be repaired by a reconing guy. If you can't get the scraping to stop, no matter where you push the cone, chances are it can't be repaired without replacing the whole cone/coil assembly.

Another possibility is the coil wires. If they've been driven hard and gotten hot many times, they could be worn out and fractured. This could cause a crispy sound at low frequencies. Sounds a bit like a bad volume pot.

But maybe not.

Hope this helps.

7. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    That sounds exactly like what is goin on, Thanks Joris!!

Mike