1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker cab advice needed!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Two Percent, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Two Percent

Two Percent

Dec 18, 2008
    I own a Mesa Boogie Basis M-2000 amp (600watts @ 4ohms) and I'm looking to get a new speaker cab. I play in a band (www.slimpocket.com) that plays a mix of hip hop, reggae, rock, and R&B. I need lots of low-end! I play a Stringray 5 HH.

I currently own an SWR Big Ben (1x18",400watts,8ohms). Cab handles plenty of bass, but doesn't have the high-end/clarity I'm looking for. I'm considering 2 options:

1) Get an 8ohm 2x10" cab to round out the sound (combine with Big Ben). The Eden D-210XST looks intriguing due to the power and low-frequency handling. Mesa Powerhouse 210also handles a lot of power.

2) Get the Ampeg SVT-410HLF (500watts,4ohms) and sell the Big Ben. I recently played a few shows through it with a B2RE and was impressed with the low end.

Thoughts?!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Get rid of the 18 and pick up an Acme B4. Then you can discover what real bass is! :)

Paul

3. Two Percent

Two Percent

Dec 18, 2008
    Thanks Paul. Any other thoughts?

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I would also lose the 18, but probably go for a 4 ohm 2x15 of some sort. I'm using a Mesa Deisel 215 right now, and loving it. Also on my list, would be a Berg NV215.

5. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'd go Berg, LDS, or Dr. Bass. Midrange driver is essential imho.

You can wait and read my review of the DRB 3080 if you're interested in waiting a while - though I think his turnaround time might be picking up, got mine in a couple months.

A single 15 with a mid would be pretty solid too. For lots of low end nothing out there beats a 3015LF + midrange cab.

6. I'll just throw in my .02, Avatar B410 or Carvin BRX10.4 neo both are excellent cabs with plenty of low, mid and high for any need.:smug:

7. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    +1 on the older Mesa 215's (Diesels & RR series... the ones w/o the tweeter)

They're all kinds of heavy (rated @ 150 lbs) and awkward to carry/lift alone, but they're built like tanks and they're prolly some of the most responsive & articulate 15's I've ever played. My understanding is the EVs in 'em were actually guitar speakers. If you're patient and diligent, you can usually score one of these cabs fairly cheap and afaik most people only get rid of 'em cuz of the weight issue.

HTH

8. +1 avatar

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA

That's what I was gonna say. Throw a well built, but not expensive, 4-10 on top of that 18 and you should be VERY happy. You've got plenty of watts to drive it.

10. If you do as many shows as i do - weight is an issue. Sorry guys i know size is important but so is health. I even built some devices with wheels to carry the stuff but its still a bugger getting 2 x 15 cabs up fire exit stairs in the dark on a rainy winters night.

I'd go for the AMPEG. I think that one has built in castors and is so solid that you could probably stick an engine on it and ride it to the gig. There should be enough top end for most players.

11. bassbrock

bassbrock

Feb 20, 2007
    Callahan, FL
    +1 The Acme Low B4 4x10 (or two B2 2x10) sounds like exactly what you need. You have plenty of watts in my opinion. An Acme B4 would outperform that 18" with lows you have to hear (and feel!) to believe.

Where performance is concerned the size of the driver is not what matters, it's the design of the cabinet that houses it that defines response and output.