Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cab + Amp Head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by whatsaMcGee, Mar 14, 2003.

1. If I were to buy say an Avatar 115 speaker cab would i need an amp head to go along with or is there a place on the cab to plug into?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    complete silence................................................................................................................................................http://www.avatarspeakers.com/

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Your bass output signal isn't enough to drive a cab.

You'd need some type of power amp, whether it's a single head (pre amp + power amp) or separate pre and power amps.

4. Wow. :rolleyes:

5. is anyone gonna answer the question on what i would need since im kinda new to this whole thing or are you all going to be cocks?

6. outofstep

outofstep

Dec 5, 2001
    Sonoma, CA
    sheesh you guys... its not a combo amp man, so you need to get a head... the amount of power you need is dependant on what you're playing...

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :bag:

8. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I answered your question.

The Talkbass Amp Faq will help you understand the things people talk about in this forum.

9. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    whatsaMcGee...

If you're in the Kenosha area, take yourself to Music Center of Kenosha, Hwy 50 and Green Bay Rd. (south of Hwy 50 on the west side of the road). Look around and ask a lot of questions.

They seem like pretty good folks there and have some nice gear...Eden, SWR, Peavey, etc.

The only other store that I'm familiar with is Music Go Round near 894 and 78th (? there's an exit westbound there) Down 78th in the big strip mall behind Burger King. They usually have lots of good used stuff and their prices aren't bad...plus they have a 30 day satisfaction guarantee.

10. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Knock it off you buncha cocks! ;)

Any way Yes you will need a bass amp. The suggestion about going to a music store and asking a bunch of questions is a good one. Here is another link about bass amps. a little more basic than the previous one posted. (may I say, beginer friendly?)

http://archive.bassplayer.com/gear/ampbasic.shtml

One more suggestion. You will get more positive responses to your questions if you refrain from name calling. The bulk of the people here see that and just move on. Of course some don't.