Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cab Config Poll

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DirtDog, Sep 15, 2002.

1. a 2x10 and a 1x15

18 vote(s)
    58.1%
  2. a single 4x10

13 vote(s)
    41.9%
  1. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    If you were running a 350W head for a live rig playing rock/blues in small to medium sized (100-300 capacity) clubs twice a month, you're usually sending a signal to the mains via a DI, and you're looking for enough volume to hang with a loud drummer and two loud guitarists, what cabinet configuration would you go for?

Assume that power/wattage/output would be the same (or close) for both configurations.

1. a 2x10 and a 1x15 OR
    2. a single 4x10

Feel free to elaborate on any pros and cons of either setup. I'm moving from a lower powered 1x15 combo and need some sage advice!

DirtDog

:rolleyes:

2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I voted 2x10 + 1x15 because you'd have some different combinations available for different sounds. Bring just one cabinet to smaller venues. Generally speaking you should also get more bottom end oomph out of that combination - but that of course would depend very much on what specific cabinets you're comparing.

3. A single JBL 18".

I'm building one right now that fits into a very modest cabinet size of 21 x 21 x 16 inches. By my standards, this is a very small cabinet and easy to haul around.

This driver is louder than hell and the small cabinet is a plus. It will provide more than enough racket for a stage monitor where PA support is available. The disadvantage is a definitely lack of low end, but this will come from the PA support.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I have a 410 cab... but I do believe I want to add a 1x15 to it eventually.

5. I like 10" speakers so I voted for 4x10, but for a gig the size you suggest I usually bring my 2x10 along with it. I use an SWR 350 and that combination drops the impedence down to 4 ohms, giving me loads of punch but never gets boomy or muddy.

6. JWBass

JWBass

Jul 20, 2001
    Levittown, PA
    Using a 2x10 with a 1x15, pushed by my SWR SM-400 gives me the clarity for the highs and mids (2x10) with the punch of the lows (1x15), especially playing a 5 string. By the way, no durmmer can compete with this set up and few guitarists I know can drown out my sound using this set up.

7. I've found that the 15'' plus the 2x10 gives me the best tone - I like the bottom of a 15, plus the quicker response of the 10's.

Using two eight ohm cabinets reduces the impedance to 4 Ohms, which allow you to get full power from your amp head.

You'll also have some added flexibility, since you can use one cabinet for smaller gigs.

Just stating my experience.

Good Luck,

Rob

8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

If you are going direct to the PA and are not mic'ing the cabs, I say go with a 4x10. The cab is for you and your bandmates to hear, not the audience. The most important features for that are note attack and clarity. You get this with a 4x10. The extra lows of a large diameter speaker wouldn't really be noticed until you are 5 or 6 feet from the cab. I doubt you will find that much room on a typical small club stage.

9. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Thanks for the advice guys...all of you make good points.

I'm have been leaning towards the 2x10/1x15 setup more for the flexibility and portability, but lo-z makes a good point....

Hmmm...the saga continues and purchase is imminent...

DD