Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker cab coverings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockin John, Feb 6, 2003.

1. Just wonderd what you compulsive cab builders use to cover the cabs. These various coverings made for the purpose tend to be really expensive.

A neat joinery job with slabs of Mahogany - or whatever - is one thing. But if you're using MDF, chipboard, or whatever, what do you do?

A nice, if not messy trick I tried once was to paint diluted PVA glue over the bare board, then throw loads of sawdust over it. Another coat of glue, let it dry then matt black paint finishes the job.

Sounds a bit crude, I agree, but it looks quite nice.

I knew a guy who covered the bare wood in PVA then 'wallpapered' it with woodchip wallpaper, then black vinyl silk.

John.

2. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    I've know people who have sprayed their cabs with that "Rhino Lining" for pickup truck beds (or a similar product). It usually turns out alright.

3. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I've only used carpet, tolex and paint...

Carpet isn't expensive at partsexpress.com and I bought a bunch of tolex for cheap on eBay...

I've seen interesting stuff at the fabric store but have never gotten up the nerve to try it...

4. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Home Depot carries carpet that is intended for boats. It looks like ozite (the gray furry stuff that a lot of manufacturers use) but it's thinner, so it doesn't get fuzzy. Pretty cheap, too - you could cover the average 4x10 for less than $20.

5. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I've used:

1. Dark Walnut Danish Oil (nice on clean plywood); okay on MDF.

2. Flat Black Latex paint (wasn't that black, but OK).

3. Flat Black Spray Paint (pretty, but not as durable as a thick coat of latex).

I'm trying black speaker carpet next weekend.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I haven't got the guts to use anything other than black carpet. Why? Coz I don't want people to know they're home-made until after they've heard em.

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I'll second the truck bed liner, I just got a Bag End with Line-X coating, and it's great and nearly indestructible.

8. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    I can see how that type of coating would be great for helping to reduce resonance, as well, but how much extra weight does it add?

9. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    While I imagine it's a little heavier than carpet, I don't think the weight factor would be significant. I haven't actually weight the Q10 myself.

10. holy old thread resurrection, but i cant believe nobody has stepped out of the box (no pun intended) here. anybody try wallpaper, or maybe some bad 70's shag carpeting? i'm wanna see some oddball stuff...

11. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    My LoPHAT Cabinets are sprayed with a pure polyurea, Line-X and Rhino are hybrids of polyurea, any weighing the cabs after being sprayed is a plus 5 pounds.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There's truckbed liner, there's carpet, there's cloth-backed vinyl (tolex).

Some of the toughest carpet covering I've come across is the fabric they use for silt fences at a construction site. Tougher than any stuff labeled "cabinet covering".

Tolex is cloth-backed vinyl. You can get it at any fabrics store in a variety of colors and patterns. Marine grade is the tough stuff.

You can cover your cab in truckbed liner if you use this big funky looking roller for texture and babysit it rolling over it when it's kinda tacky/half set up to create different textures.