1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker Cab Crackling

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FunkyLemz, Sep 22, 2008.

1. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any ideas on why my cab is making a rattling/crackling sound approximately 1-2 seconds post playing a note? Ive checked all the cables and turned off the tweeter.

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Do you mean it "crackles" 1-2 seconds after the note terminates or 1-2 seconds after you initially hit the note (when its still ringing)? Also, if your cables are all good, do you set your head on top of the cab(s)? I only mention this because I was having a similar thing happen to me and it turned out that the input jack was just loose enough where the vibrations from my cab causes it to move around a little and cause some static.

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    What kind of cabinet is it?

4. IanStephenson

IanStephenson UnRegistered User

Apr 8, 2006
    Could be a bad jack socket - maybe just dirty. I had a similar problem, an a blast of switch cleaner sorted it out.

5. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    seems like something like that would do it

6. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    eden xlt 4x10

7. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    both, but i initially noticed it after the note terminated - I did have the amp on the cab - I will move it tonight, but I'm pretty sure that's not the issue - u never know.

8. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I had an issue with my Goliath II, where the ground wire broke loose of the input jack, and certain vibrations made it crackle and even lost the signal sometimes. I had to re solder the wire onto the jack. Might want to check the internal wiring while you're investigating.

9. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Plug the unused 1/4" jacks. Seriously. Use foam earplugs. For a quick test, just hold the jacks sealed with a couple of fingers.

This is a common problem, because air leaks through the open jacks can sound like buzzes or crackles.

If that does the trick, then contact Eden customer service for a pair of the plastic plugs designed for that purpose.

10. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'd say it's probably cables or jacks.

11. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147

I actually had a speaker become disconnected in my G II. The whole cab sounded distorted and weak, but didn't crackle much--unless you count the sound of me getting bent out of shape. :D

It was an easy fix:

Remove grill and "offending" speaker
    Resolder loose lead
    Reinstall speaker and grill

Been fine for 3 years since. :bassist:

12. UnkaRick

UnkaRick

Sep 21, 2008
    NY
    when mine made a crackling sound like that, it ended up being the Speaker cord from head to cabinet, working itself loose from all the vibration....hope it's a free, easy fix like that!!!

13. Rick Auricchio

First try plugging the jacks; trust me, this is a very common question on the Eden forum.

14. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    you guys are so helpful - thank you!

15. FunkyLemz

FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    During my sessions last night, from the get go it never made any crackling sound whatsoever. I wouldn't be surprised if it was the jacks on the back. Would not playing through it for about 1.5 week create dust buildup/whatever?

16. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Is the crackle quite and only noticeable when the note fades out???

My SVT pro 3's output Bias was out of Calibration so I was hearing a lot of crossing distortion on the note Tails.

You can't really adjust that without an oscilloscope and a current reading ISO Former.

17. Rick Auricchio

Spode, why does your SVT Pro 3's bias even enter the discussion here?

Funky, it may not always crackle or buzz. Next time it happens, hold your fingers over the jacks and see if it stops.

18. spode master

spode master

Jan 21, 2007
    Because it was the legitimate cause of my Post note (fade out) crackle.

It drove me nuts for months.

I checked almost everything else first.

Of course Dirty or bad jacks should be checked.

Eden Doesn't use Sealed Jacks!? oy id expect something like that from SWR Working man series, but isn't Eden supposed to be a little more high end?

A bad or dirty jack would make more sense since the noise happens when the speakers aren't moving.

19. Rick Auricchio

But if the OP doesn't have a badly-biased amp, it's kinda off the wall to mention it.

Eden doesn't use sealed 1/4" jacks. They provide a pair of plastic filler plugs.

20. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    I've had it happen out on a gig in the PA, it was a connection at the back of a speaker. Easy repair of about 30 minutes. Sometimes it would be just fine and then click once and then one night it went dark... Whoops somebody get me the tools. BOB