1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker Cab for an old Peavey head?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ccouch7, May 13, 2010.

1. ccouch7

ccouch7

Feb 14, 2009
    So I've had my Peavey rig (mark VI head, 410tx and 118 black widow cabs) for over 16 years. I really like the head but I think my speakers are a bit tired.
    I already have a 1-15 cab to replace the 1-18, but I want to get a new one to replace the 4-10.
    Right now I play in a rock cover band (anything from Allman bros. to Tool) and like a clean powerful sound mostly.
    I also plan on upgrading the head later on down the line to a GK rb700 or similar.
    So does anyone have any input as to what Brands or type of Cabs (2x10, 2x12, 4x10 ect...) would be good for my situation?

The old Peavy head does around 400watts at 4ohms, I think?
    Oh, and my budget is around $600-$700.
    Thanks.

2. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    My friend actually just bought a Peavey 3620 (2x18 2x10) cab and with it the same head you have now (either the 4 or 6 i'm not sure). Well anyway, I tried it with my Acoustic B410 and it sounded fantastic compared to my current head, and it sounded fantastic!...so check out Acoustic cabs

3. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

why not just repair what you have.. 18 baskets come up on ebay all the time.

4. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

This head also works well with the 1520.. 1 15 + 2 10s

Tim

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Actually, that head does 400 watts at 2 ohms. A 4 ohm 2x12 Avatar wouldn't completely overwhelm the 1x15 you have, like another 4x10 would. I use a pair of 4ohm 2x12's with a Peavey Nitrobass and it's about perfect for it's wattage.

6. ccouch7

ccouch7

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks for the replies all.

So if I'm running two 8ohm cabs now, that's a 4ohm load right?
    I wonder how many watts it's pushing at 4ohms? It's pretty loud.
    If it's safe to run this head at 2ohms I'd like to give it a try and I like the idea of a 2x12 cab.
    What if my 1x15 cab is 8ohms and I add a 4ohm 2x12 how would that work? The ohm stuff is confusing me.:confused:

7. rptrsn2

rptrsn2

Feb 21, 2008
    Northeast Missouri
    Endorsing Artist: Aurora Strings
    if your gonna get a 700rbii i run a peavey 115 with aan avatar 210 and 700rbii, best sounding rig i'vo owned

8. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  9. ccouch7

ccouch7

Feb 14, 2009
    Thanks for the info, I should have read the Ohms FAQ's before posting, but I've been using this Peavey rig so long I never looked into this stuff before.
    Anyway I've been reading and looking around on the net at speaker cabs and I am thinking of going with an Avatar B212 2x12 bottom cab and a Avatar B210 2x10 top cab, both in green tolex.
    And just selling or retiring the 1x18, 1x15 and 4x10 cabs.
    Anyone use or have any opinions on this setup? (2x12 and 2x10)

Also would you go with 4ohm or 8ohm on the Avatar cabs, would it make a big difference in sound/volume with my Head (Peavey Mark VI xp series) to go 2ohm, I'm running two 8ohm cabs now and really it's plenty loud.
    And would two 4ohm cabs be compatible with the GK 700rb-II head I plan on getting in the future?
    I searched around but could not find the minimum speaker load for the GK.
    Sorry for all the questions at once. Thanks.

10. old peavey heads tend to like old peavey cabs. something about those combos are magic. try getting some new speakers for the cabs you have OR you could upgrade to the new peavey tour series of cabs for not much $$.

11. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
  12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    No, two 4Ω Avatars would be a mistake if you're only going to use the Peavey until you get the 700RBII. It's rated for a minimum 4Ωs. f you're really set on using that head later, go for a pair of 2x12 8Ω GK neo cabs so you'll be able to use the 50 watt horn management feature. Check out RMC audio. They wouldn't be much more than the Avatars, particularly when you add up the tolex, grill options, etc.

13. ccouch7

ccouch7

Feb 14, 2009
    I hear you all on the fixing the Peaveys but I really want to move on to another rig after all these years with it. It served me well and I'll probably keep it for a backup in the end.

Stumbo, thanks for the manual link. I can't believe it's only been pushing 250 watts, it's loud!

Jaco, I'm going to look into the GK speakers and thanks for the info on the GK head. I should have known to look at GK cabs for a GK head but the green tolex almost sucked me in.:p

Thanks for everyone's patience and help with this.

14. elavate7

elavate7

Jul 8, 2009
    its all about "THE POCKET"
    if your head is 2ohms, then you want two 4ohm cabs to get a 2ohm load.