Speaker Cab Physics 101

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B.Hendrix, Aug 23, 2003.

1. B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA
    OK - being technically challenged, I have a couple of questions for the vast knowledge base out there!

I have a Hartke 4000 which puts out 400 watts at 4 ohms. If I'm running the amp to one 8 ohm speaker, I know I'm sending about 270 watts to the speaker. If I connect 2 8 ohm cabs, what is each cab receiving?

Also, if you have a cab rated at say - 200 watts at 8 ohms, how many watts could it safely handle coming from a 4 ohm feed from the amp? :meh:

I'm really wanting to make sure that if I'm connecting 2 8 ohm cabs rated at 200 watts to an amp pushing 400 watts to them at 4 ohms is going to damage them.

Appreciate any and all responses! :)
  2. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Each cab would receive a maximum of 200 watts.
    How many can it safely handle? 200 watts. But just because an amp is rated for a certain number of watts, it doesn't mean that it will be putting that much wattage into the cab at all times. That's why some people buy amps that are rated for more wattage than their cab. However, it's not recommended to use a cab with an amp that is rated for more than 2x the power handling of the cab.
    At 4 ohms, it can put out 400 watts total, but this is split up evenly between the two cabinets, so it works out nicely. :)
  3. B.Hendrix

Mar 24, 2000
    Atlanta, GA

Thank you very much!