Speaker Cab Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpoprock, Jun 12, 2005.

1. jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
    I might have missed this in the FAQ... but I have a question. I'm going to hopefully buy a 500W+ head at 4ohm. I think I'm going to start off with one 8ohm cab though. I'm going w/ Avatar. Should I first get the more portable and less expensive 210NEO, then later pick up another 410NEO or a 15? I play classic rock covers, so I need a nice "rock" sound. I'm pretty sure that neither addl cab will make me sound "louder" right? Or is that incorrect? Will the 410's give me more percieved loudness than the 15? I won't really be super loud ever though. I might play some stages that are somewhat spacious though, but mostly small to med places and stages. And more than likely, I won't be sending my signal thru our PA because the venues really won't call for it. Oh, and I'm in a power trio with a drummer who can be loud at times, more so than the guitar player (who plays a 212 combo).

Heck, maybe I don't even need a 500W head?? I'd rather have too much than not enuff.

Ok, so I just need advice figuring out what to do about this cab situation. If I get just one 210, I may discover that's all I'll ever need. But then I'm stuck w/ an 8ohm cab! OR, maybe for the price of BOTH Avatar's I'm looking at, there is ONE good option elsewhere?

2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    How about getting one 8 ohm 210 and trying it out. If you feel it's enough for you Avatar will probably let you exchange it for a 4 ohm version. If you feel you need more just get another 8 ohm 210 later on. Which 500 watt head are you getting?
  3. jpoprock

Jun 7, 2005
    Kokomo, IN
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    While Avatar offers a two week (IIRC) return period, you have to pay the return shipping fee. Granted it won't be "that" much for a 2x10 via FedEx Ground, it all adds up.

I'd say stay with an 8 ohm cabinet, since amps usually put out more than 50% of their 4 ohm rated power at 8 ohms, a 4 ohm cabinet (assuming both 8 ohm and 4 ohm cabinets have teh same sensitivity) won't be any louder (at least not enough that the average human can tell).

Adding a second 8 ohm cabinet will indeed increase your volume since you're adding cone area. A pair of 10s has about the same cone area as one 15. Depending on the relative sensitivity of the 410NEO to the 1x15, one may be louder than the other, or they might be the same. Personally, I like pairing 2x10s with 1x15s as they compliment each other's midrange response and create a nice fullness...

As for your quandry about 410NEO vs 1x15, talk to Dave (Noss at Avatar)...he'll help guide you in the right direction.

Go for the 500 watt amp...you can really never have enough... And...if you can plug into the PA, by all means do it...let the PA do the bulk of the work if it's up to it. No need to stress your gear any more than you need to.

If you let them talk you out of plugging into the PA, the bigger the venue or louder the band plays, the more YOU are going to have to spend on gear, etc. That route is a losing battle. However, you can win the war at the beginning by insisting on going through the PA and refusing to cranking up your amp really loud. Also by doing that, you set the example of maintaining a reasonable stage volume which is better for the band's overall sound AND the preservation of your hearing.

Good luck!!!