1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker Cab Wood and Tone

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by hennessybass, Apr 1, 2013.

1. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Just curious,
    Do you think that the type of wood used to make cabs has an effect on the voice of the cab?

From what I understand, the Aguilar DB and GS cabs use the same driver. Looking at the specs, the only difference between the cabs is 1" of aditional depth on the DB cabs, AND they are made of a different ply wood. Those are very different sounding cabs. Does the 1" make all the difference, or the wood too?

In a more practical sense, if I were to have a custom 15" cab made - say a greenboy basic 15, would the type of wood I chose change the way the cab sounded?

Just curious.

2. The material used should impart no tonal difference to the cab. All those panels should be braced, and covered in batting.

I say should because there are a lot of cabs that are not made very well. So their panels flex and that will change the sound a bit.

As far as an additional 1" of depth goes, if the porting has changed as well, then yes you could change the sound of the cab.

3. Void free being the most important, from there it is weight per board feet.

4. hennessybass

hennessybass Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2008
    Houston, TX
    True. Wasn't thinking about porting diff on those cabs.

5. In short, NO. Although wood has resonance and that is a good thing when making guitars and basses, the purpose of the cab is to be RIGID so any added resonance in a cab is unwanted. We brace cabs internally to reduce resonance (or change its frequency to outside the intended response parameters where it won't interfere with the output), science and empirical testing shows a rigid cab is best. You don't want a driver wasting (some of its) energy on making a cab vibrate, speakers are designed to move air and a rigid cab ensures more of the drivers energy is used to move air.

6. I just ran rough internal volume on the 212 in both models and came up with over 1 cu foot difference in internal cab volume. That is huge.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Guitar cabs yes you want that resonance.
    Some famous engineers will mic the cab too.
    Bass a big no.

8. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Absolutely right. In fact concrete works well - seriously.

9. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Feb 25, 2007
    Sweden
    Choise of material will definitely color your tone, even for well braced cabinets. The SPL insde the cabinet can exceed 140 dB. Such massive pressures will excite the enclosure panels so they also emit noise/sound...
    There is of course the regular issue of diminishing returns when designing enclosures. When is it good enough while still being portable enough.