1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker Cabinet Choice for Ampeg PF-20T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FullMotionAudio, Aug 12, 2018.

1. FullMotionAudio

FullMotionAudio

Feb 15, 2018
    I'm planning to buy an Ampeg PF-20T to use in my home studio. I want the option to record by using a mic on the speaker cab in addition to a DI signal. I need to get a small budget friendly cabinet to run it through and I'm having a hard time making a decision since I haven't had a chance to test any of these out in person. I haven't been able to find all of these in one location.

My basses are a Stingray 5 and a Jazz bass. Music styles are primarily modern rock/classic rock/pop/funk. I don't need real loud sound levels, but it would be nice if I could use the cab with a more powerful head down the road to do some gigs. (Although this is a much lower priority) My main contenders are:

> Ampeg PF-112HLF - Great match for the tube portaflex, but worried about how it will handle the low B string.
    > Ampeg SVT-210AV - Seems like it would handle the 5 string better(?)
    > Acoustic BN112 - This seems to get great reviews for tone and can handle 400W. Might be a good sleeper choice, but no sound specs listed from the manufacturer that I can find.

Would love to get some feedback from anyone who has used these cabinets. Even better if you have used them to record with a 5 string and a Portaflex.

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    With an HPF, your B string will be fine with any rig.

A more efficient cab will be helpful with a lower power amp and probably giggable with a 200w head.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I have the PF112hlf and SVT 210av, and I like them both a lot. But neither of them have what you'd call a tremendous low end response...they're more like an 810e with it slightly rolled off low end response, which is what I prefer, even for the lowest 5-string notes. Now if you want a bigger low end for those notes, you might prefer one of the other PF cabs...the PF115he goes very low, the PF115lf even lower. The PF210he sits between the PF115he and the smaller cabs and is good if you don't want to go too low or too high.

OR...you could record two tracks, one with the PF115 or 210av, one DI, then blend the lows from the DI with the mic'ed cab sound. Will still sound like a mic'ed cab and allow you to add more low end if you think you need it.

Stumbo likes this.
  4. FullMotionAudio

FullMotionAudio

Feb 15, 2018
    Will definitely plan to use a filter. Thanks for the suggestion. The PF-112HLF is rated at a sensitivity of 96dB. I can't seem to find a rating for the Svt 210 or the Acoustic 112.

Great info, thanks! I've often done the DI plus amp sim combo before, and will probably do the same with micing the real amp. The PF210he sounds like it may be a good option although slightly bigger than I was hoping to get.

Follow up questions if you don't mind; how would you describe the sound difference between the PF112HLF and the SVT210? I've read a few threads here about both, but haven't seen anything with a direct comparison. With these smaller cabinets having less low end, would it be similar to having a larger cabinet like the PF210 and using a filter?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    JimmyM likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Yep, it would be exactly like that. Using a filter before the amp would allow you to eke out a tiny bit more volume out of your amp since it wouldn't have to work to reproduce those low freqs the cab isn't putting out anyway, but in the studio, volume is a non-issue.

Anyway, the PF112 and 210av sound way more alike than different, but I sense a little more low end out of the PF112, although I can boost the lows on my amp and compensate when using the 210av. Honestly, I think for recording purposes, I'd probably rather have the 210av, but there's nothing wrong with either of them.

6. FullMotionAudio

FullMotionAudio

Feb 15, 2018
    Thanks for the detailed information! Any thoughts on the SVT-112av compared to the others? I just realized I could make that one fit in my studio if I turned it on it's side.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Never played one, sorry.

8. JB1962

JB1962

Jan 13, 2018
    Love my PF-210HE cabinets with my PF-20T! I like the PF-210HE so much I bought 2 of them! I know this thread is a year old :).

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021