Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cabinet Design Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jive1, Sep 22, 2003.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I am considering upgrading an Avatar speaker 2x10 cabinet to Eminence Deltalite Neodymium speakers. The issue deals with cabinet design. The stock Delta 10's on the Avatar, have a low fequency response of 63Hz, and the cab is tuned to that frequency. However, the Eminence Deltalites are spec'd out to a low of 40Hz. What would happen if I were to put them into a cab tuned higher than the lowest frequency response of the speaker?

Thanks in advance.

2. They will be mismatched.

Cone excursion increases rapidly below the tuning frequency. A box tuned at 60 Hz is going to allow significant and potentially destructive excursion at 41 Hz. Acoustic loading goes to zilch below the tuning frequency, same as running the driver in open air.

The Deltalite 2510 is optimum in 1.4 cubic feet tuned at 41 Hz. They are nice drivers and very light weight.

Ask Dave at Avatar for the internal dimensions of your cabinet. Compute the volume, and divide by two. This is the amount of volume available to each driver. I think your 2x10 will be pretty close to what the Deltalite requires.

It is easy to tune the 63 Hz down lower by making the port duct longer. You can do this with a computer sound card and digital volt meter.

3. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm not much of a speaker builder, so can you give me a little more detail about this process?

Thanks

4. Read Vance Dickason's book, "The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook".

Everything you need to know is here. He includes a simple method of testing the tuning in a step by step manner.