1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker Cabinet Design

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KirkW, May 14, 2006.

1. KirkW

KirkW

Apr 16, 2006
    Casco, ME
    I’m feeling confused about the best cabinet design for me. I play primarily Chicago style blues in a club setting. I have a Fender Jazz bass and an SWR Bass 350. I’m presently using a Peavey 1820 cabinet. The tone is decent but the volume is not really there so I’m planning to sell it. Plus it’s 120lbs. and the size of small refrigerator!

I’ve seen people refer to Bill Fitzmaurices's Omni Pro 12 on the Forum but from the literature on his site, it appears to be a full range cabinet. Why would I care about frequencies above 5KHz? Could I just delete the tweeter? What’s difference between the Omni series and the DR series? Would either cabinet be appropriate for what I'm trying to do? I'm also looking at the Avatar B210 and B212 as possibilities.

What I am after is really good low end to get the blues growl and an easier-to-haul cabinet.

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    a pair of Bagend S15 or an S12 + S15 with that head do the blues growl pretty well. Schroeder 1212 might suit you real well too. An other thought is the Aguilar 1x12 cabs.

3. The comment about volume not being there, combined with playing an SWR 350 tells me you need an efficient cab.

The DR2xx are super efficient and farking loud on less power. If you need a big bottom, the DR2xx isn't it. They are best suited for a Tuba sub when bottom is needed. This gets you into more pieces of real estate.

The typical bass with high G is good to about 7,500 Hz for the usable harmonics. Add overdrive, distortion, etc, that goes much higher. The bass itself is all done by 7,500 Hz. The DR2xx horns roll off far below this, so you will need the tweeter array.

My recommendation is the Omni 15 for your described need. It has a lot more bottom than the O12, and certainly more than the O10. Builds are simple for DIY, and reasonably priced if you have a builder do it.

The O15 is 50 pounds lighter than your current Peavey, and occupies 7.8 cubic feet. Size-wize, the O15 is nearly identical to an Ampeg 410HLF or Peavey 410-TVX, and weighs less than both.

4. KirkW

KirkW

Apr 16, 2006
    Casco, ME
    Thanks to you both for the input. Every little bit helps!

I am wondering though about Bill Fitz's horn designs - if they are really the way to go, why aren't more players using them? Most people I see are opting for multiple 10's, 12's, or 15's, often in a ported cabinet. The folded horn design is definitely more efficient (drivers being equal) than the ducted port design but are there other sound/performance trade-offs that haven't been mentioned? How about overall tone, punch, sound distribution -front of cabinet versus across the room? Does the horn need special EQ to sound good for a bass?

5. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Maybe Bill or someone will correct me but he sells the plans and you or a carpenter have to build it. Me thinks most players want something ready to go. They probably are very good cabs however.

6. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    Silly me, I just noticed you're a carpenter :oops:
    Nothing wrong with allowing a cabinet to reproduce what you put into it. What's wrong with having an extended range cab?
    You can pull back the highs on either the bass or the amp if you don't want them.

7. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You either have to build it yourself or have one built for you. They aren't off the shelf items.

8. If you have one built for you, it will cost you.

There are a LOT of hours involved, and time is money. That is why the suggested retail price is up near $1800 for an Omni15.

These cabs are not slammed together by a production monkey with a staple gun and glue brush. There is no economy of scale, where a manufacturer can opt to use a one-size-fits-all box and stuff in the drivers of choice. Each of the many internal parts requires precision cutting and assembly. The bracing that makes these cabs so strong and rattle-free is time consuming to fabricate and fit.

Bill estimates the Omni15 requires 16 to 24 hours build time, by an experience builder who is jigged up for production. Multiply the hourly rate, add in the hardware, and this is not a cheap box that is slapped together.

Built by an inexperienced cabinet maker, this will be even more expensive, because he has to think and scratch his head on your nickel, no matter how skilled he is.

And most players drive Toyotas, not Ferraris.

9. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I have only had my Omni 12's done for a few months and only done outdoor shows so far. I'd say their response is very even from right up in front of them to 20' away; they are called Omni's because they are very omnidirectional (step off to the side of a 4x10 and they sound a lot different).

I don't think the horn needs much, although I biamp mine. I set the volume about even on the power amp and leave my EQ flat for a PBass with HiBeams. Very smooth high end without a tweeter in mine; not scratchy like tweeters can be.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Actually it refers to their versatility, as they work well on bass, PA or keys. But you're right about the dispersion pattern, they are quite uniform.

11. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    This thread prompted me. I consider myself very much a beginner as wood working goes. All I have is a circular saw, a regular electric drill and a few C clamps. I may put together some 'during' photos during the next month or so and post it. I'll probably borrow the 15" speaker from my Carvin PB200 combo for now and see how that works and compare it to the combo cabinet sound. I've also got a Schroeder 410 and 2 EA wizzy's to compare it with.
    If I like it (enough), I may sell the other cab's but it's going to have to prove itself.

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

At this point I'm very interested in building on of Bill's Omni 12s. Has anyone here built one (I see that ESP-LTD has)? Any pics?

13. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Sorry, for Bill's speaker designs, you need clamps that go down to B.

14. bassksun

bassksun

Mar 5, 2004
    Las Vegas,NV