Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cabinet Volume

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iriegnome, Jun 22, 2005.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am working on a cabinet and was wondering if there was some sort of Formula for interior volume of a cabinet? There must be something at least that is what I would think.
    Thanks for the help! :help:

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    You have placed the cart well before the horse. Put the tools down and read a book on loudspeaker design before proceeding any further. Those by Vance Dickason, Dave Weems or Ray Alden are among the best.

3. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I am pretty well versed in orientation and speaker "Talk". I am very bad at math and Pro Speaker book reading is about as boring as Text manuals for rotary engines. I am looking for a formula for interior volume of a speaker box. I am sure everyone who actually makes these has a "Secret" receipe, but there has to be a general formula. :meh:

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    http://www.ofgb.org/

Either the cab design programs or (somewhere in the site) the cab design spreadsheet, will get you an answer.

Basically the speaker will have a certain box volume and tuning that it prefers for optimum sound. If you know what the speakers are that you're using, then I'm sure one of the gurus here can fill you in.

Alex

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    That makes sense.