1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker cabinets....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Sep 25, 2002.

1. AND building...I've got a design for my speaker cabinet in the works...I'm thinking about around 2.4 cubic feet, 1x12 and 1 if not 2 tweeters, for the extra high end...What kind of crossover should I use, I got an info sheet that said a simple cap on the positive side of the tweet would kill freq. I calculated 7.4uF would kill below 1.6khz and the Madison tweeter I'm looking at is 1.6-20k...How big of the wire should I use inside?what gauge?What kind of connectors?How would I do an L-Pad, or is it too complicated since I'm po(or)Wouldn't it just be a pot put on a variable capacitor?Or how would I wire it with the cap in the circuit.... I'm trying to get my ducks in a row before i go to build and end up with a lemon....Thanks bunches

2. The questions being asked indicate you still have a lot of research/learning to do before spending money on components, or breaking out the table saw.

A tweeter is always MUCH more efficient than a bass driver. Adding a second tweeter will add so much screech that the rig will be seriously out of balance and will hiss like crazy. If this was a great idea, all the commercial cabs would do it. They don't.

Take a look at the bass driver you plan on using and note where the bass response starts to fall off. This will probably be higher for a 12" than for the larger drivers. This will give you an idea about where to cross over.

Buy a crossover.

Unless you have the *impedance* accurately identified on both drivers at the crossover frequency, you will get it wrong, and it will sound like crap. If you are using a piezo tweeter, no crossover is needed. Let the bass driver run full range and the piezo is self-protecting. You can also add a simple capacitor to a non-piezo tweeter to block the lows.

You have a cabinet volume in mind, but is it correct for your chosen bass driver? See if your driver is listed in my spread sheet. I have all the Eminence drivers worked out already, and a thousand other drivers too.

Otherwise, you are just guessing, and it will sound like it. You cannot build a ported cab blindly, and expect it to sound great.