Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker cable for connecting pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jonasp, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Can I use speaker cable to connect my pedal (going to be a SA BDDI pretty soon) to my amp? I will be using intrument cable from bass to pedal and was wondering if I should buy another instrument cable to go from pedal to amp, or if i could use speaker cable that I already have, to go from pedal to amp.

Would the different types of cables actually make a difference in operation/sound?

TIA, Pete

2. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    No, you can't. Audio signals MUST be routed through audio cables (shielded). If you use a speaker cord you'll experience high (and I mean, not barely audible, but HIGH!) 50Hz hum in the signal. Depending on the cable length it could be so high that maybe you don't even hear your bass. Speakers don't need shielded cable, because that's the mechanical part of the sound process, I mean, moving the speaker's cone with a coil and a magnet.

Take care...

ANDRÉS

3. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Not to mention speaker cable is not sheilded and if you did get good signal level, you would most likely have all kinds of fun interference.

4. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    no, its not shielded....

5. Ok...thanks for the info guys!