Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker cable gauge question.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Aug 29, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    I looked at the cables powering my speakers and found that one is 14gauge and the other 16 gauge. Will this present problems or different loads to the different speakers?

Also, I used to have 3 cables. Could someone tell me about the gauge of the missing one? :confused:

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Your missing one was also a 14. I read somewhere you paid $600 for it 5 years ago, and that is the telling detail.

3. Tough crowd ;)

4. must have been a green 14 gauge cable if it was $600 5 years ago, had a big green thing going on back then

5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't know anything about the missing cable, but it would recommend using the largest cable possible. The smaller the number, the bigger the gauge. If you are using a high powered amp (500+ watts) with an 18 gauge speaker cable, you may experience some signal loss and/or distortion from extremes such as low bass and high treble.

If possible, I would recommend using 12 gauge cables. Good cables can make a difference...

6. And for $600 is was surely a springy one too.

Can anyone tell us what type of copper cable the lead had? I think thats the most important factor in deciding the manufacturer and model!

7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I swear, I've read the strangest questions here today. Must be the lunar alignment . . . or perhaps crack . . .

8. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    +1! LMFAO!

~S~

9. If this was a fairy tale, I'd say the missing cable was 12 guage. Thats probably too big for your amp, the 16 ga might be too small.

Then the 14 guage would be JUST right.

If the missing cable was 18 guage, it would definitely be too small, but I don't think you can make a case that 14 guage would be too big. So that scenario fails all logical tests.

But seriously, if you're really worried about it, use the 14 ga cable from the amp to the first speaker, then the 16 to go to the 2nd speaker. That way the 14 carries current for both, the 16 only carries current for 1, you minimize the already admittedly nearly nonexistent differences in tone. Unless you're running > 1000 watts total, 14 ga ought to be fine, and the 2nd speaker is getting half that, so 16 is fine for the 2nd one.

I like 12 ga just for overkill, but I don't think its that big a deal. 18 is asking for trouble with high power setups though.

Randy

10. Remember, the copper in the cables must be virgin copper mined in Peru. Or was that Peruvian copper mined by virgins? :confused:

11. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    The missing one was a left handed cable, & we all know what guage & color they come in.

12. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    :D:D

Thanks for both kinds of suggestions! I take it with two 3-foot to 6 foot cables of different guages I have nothing to worry about as long as 16 ga. can carry full signal strength? Larger gauges are just more overhead, not more current, right?

So if I wire the 14 from the amp to the first speaker and the 16 from the first to the second speaker, then the missing one should go last??

13. i think you'll find the term is "ohmage"! :spit:

:p :p

14. In your case it should be "incontinence" :spit:

15. Hmmm if you were using 2 cables to hook up the 2 cabs to the amp then the third cable must have been the instrument cable between your bass and the amp. I would not know the gauge of it, but it must have been pretty thin.
    Now what prize did i win??

16. when i come to dundee ya better be at the gig - i'll have a present for you! :)

17. a broken Trace ? :smug:

18. Joey J

Joey J

Jul 12, 2005