Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker cable help...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by incognito89x, May 15, 2003.

1. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    As i've probably annoyed you all 3 or 4 times already, I'm trying to piece together a new Rig for my bass. I'm wondering what kind of speaker cables are decent to get?

I was looking at musiciansfriend.com for ideas, and so many of them are 6 feet or longer. It seems like that's a bit excessive just to plug a head into a cab, which couldn't be much more that 3 feet, right?

Am I looking at the wrong cables, or is it for other reason to have them longer.

Help is much appreciated. Thanks.

2. WASHBURNGUY

WASHBURNGUY

Dec 28, 2002
    heres a story... i needed a cable for my amp i was using a 3 foot guitar cord ,not good fopr sure..
    i told the guy at the store i needed one he went and picked it out cuz i couldnt find it i was like damn 15 bux for a 3 foot cord..i was like ahh ill keep usin my guitar cord he handed it to me buy it man...i knew he was right..then i got to thinkin fuuck..i went to radio shack got some solder 1/4 inchers and some good speaker wire 14 gage and made my own!! its pretty good and solid but nothing comparred to my pro-co.(wich i did buy).the irony is my uncle is senior engineere for pro-co .. i need to go talk with that dumb ass and ask why the hell he dont make a BASS RAT!!j/k \
    my unkle steve rocks
    pro-co for sure there like 10yr(speaker)20yr guitar some life , warrenty ANY ANY problem they will exchange for a new one and not just them..like my music store said you can cut it in half and as long as theres to ends on it ill give ya a new one
    short is better for just a head to stack...you need long ones conecting to P.As

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    2 things are important:

• as short as possible
    • as thick as possible/reasonable (has to fit in the plugs)

I make my own with good-quality speaker cable (4 mm² - don't know the US gauge) and Neutriks.

4. I think the 6ft 14-12 ga. Horizon should be just fine. I personally use a 3ft 14 ga but MF doesn't seem to handle anything shorter than 6ft which should work just fine.

P.S. give'm a call sometimes they can find stuff that isn't on the website.

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    And whatever you do DON'T use a regular guitar cable. The shielding creates resistance that could potentially damage your amp if driven hard.

I recommend the shortest, thickest cable you can find. Make it yourself or buy it pre-made, but have it short and thick (. . . insert joke here . . .)

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    My last speaker cable was made in the store for me - they have a tech. I'd bought a substantial $$$$ value of gear (Trace Elliot head and cab, Spector bass). They made me a 3 ft XLR speaker cable for nowt!

7. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    The resistance in an instrument cable won't harm the amp, but it will lose you a little bit of power and some damping factor. The increased capacitance of a shielded instrument cable might make some amps unstable and tend to oscillate.

Here's a suggestion: buy a six-footer and two suitable plugs/connectors. Cut the cable in two and attach a plug to each cut end. Then you have an appropriately short cable plus a spare. :hyper:

8. incognito89x

incognito89x ♪♫♪ ♪ ♪ ♫&#983

Sep 22, 2002
    Royal Oak, Michigan
    Thanks a lot. I guess I had the right idea with a short cable.