Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cable or Instrument Cable ??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SubDubMan, Oct 20, 2002.

1. SubDubMan

SubDubMan

Apr 26, 2002
    When going from the amp to the effect unit, would you use a speaker cable or an instrument cable?
    Does it matter?

Can someone try to explain to me the effects loop and the purpose, because i don't undestand the reason for using one and its benifits.
    Thank you so much!

2. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Speaker cables aren't shielded, so using one there might make it pretty noisy. I don't think it could be harmful, though. Just don't use an instrument cable on your amp.

3. Instrument Cable for everything...

Except for power amp to speaker. Then speaker cable.

4. yeah... speaker cable BAD..

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    An effects loop on an amp puts the effects in between the pre and power amps (just like on a mixer). The idea is that you want time based effects (delay chorus) after any distortion.

An external effects loop is desiged to switch multiple effects units with one switch. Some of them use true bypass which is one of many ways to minimise 'tone sucking'. Connect up 4-5 Boss pedals then turn them all off and listen to your dry sound. Now use just your cable, thats tone sucking.