Speaker Cable Question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Th9nker, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Okay, I've got an Ashdown 500 EVO II, Two outputs in parallel, one 1/4" and one Speakon...

I'm getting new cables...

I use two 8ohm cabs, each with two 1/4" jacks and one Speakon...

There are so many ways that I could hook this up, which way do y'all think is the best??? :confused:
  2. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Daisy chain from one to the other, then a single cable to your head is IMO the easiest and best way to setup something like that. Of course, everyone has reasons why they do things, and I'm sure someone will point out why I do it wrong, and how to do it right :D

3. DubDubs

Aug 23, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Yeah. Go Speakon out on the amp to the speakon in on the cab then 1/4" to 1/4" from one cab to the other.
  4. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002

Yes, and I was also thinking about using a 1/4" to Speakon cable for the chain connection... Wouldn't make any difference, but would make use of the speakon input and the "lock"...
  5. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Yet another option:

The guys at procablesnsound.com will make this:

"We've added a new product for customers with new amps that only have one Speakon output. Its a Y cable that will go from 1 Speakon to 2 speakon connectors. You can order this with 1/4" male, speakon or banana plugs on the speaker end. Great cable to take advantage of your single speakon out!! See biamp page for this cable."

Any thoughts???
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Any of the previous three ways would be good. Maybe #3 is the best.
  7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would either follow DubDubs suggestion or yours of making the second cable speakon to 1/4". More generally usefull if you change gear and slightly cheaper. However, one extra cable.

The Y would be fine, just make sure it is not a true biamp cable. i.e. Each end is +1/-1.