Speaker cable question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KB, Feb 25, 2002.

1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Once I get my new speaker cabs (two Ag GS112s) I am going to need to get some good quality (but short length--around 6 ft) speaker cable to connect my amp head to the new speakers. I will probably need 1/4" jacks on both ends as I plan to run my head (Carvin R600) in bridge mode (to get the full 600watts at 4ohms) and it only has 1 speakon output in the bridge mode section but two 1/4" outputs. So do you have any recommendations for a good quality cable to use to connect the speakers to the amp head. I know I want a good heavy gauge for quality sound.
    I assume this is the correct forum to post this in, but feel free to move it if not.

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Take a look at the cables our own Talkbasser, Bob Gollihur, makes/sells......top drawer components at a decent price.
    (You have to scroll down the page; link below)

The only reason I didn't get his is because I found some 10 gauge ProCo's at a closeout sale.
  3. FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    if you have basic soildering skills (although i don't think i can spell it)... you might want to make your own.. check out markertek.com or avcable.com. Both of them have a selection of cables that they'll make for you or you can make yourself in any size or connector combination.

I just ordered enough to make 2 short speaker cables with speakons, and the total was $33 for both, and speakons don't even require soildering
  4. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I saw some great speaker cable made by Hosa at Guitar Center. It was very flexible 12 gauge with quality G&H plugs on it. You might want to check GC for those, they looked well made.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I bought Monster cables -short speaker ones and they have been completely reliable for about 3 -4 years and have sounded great - they only cost about £15 as well!!
  6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's correct: you want a heavy gauge, but not unreasonably so. Keep the length to just what you need; the longer the cable length, the heavier the gauge you need to minimize the cable resistance, so conversely, the shorter the cable, the smaller the gauge you can use. This is a useful thing to keep in mind because it makes your gigging life easier to use cable that's easy to handle.

In terms of sound, brand doesn't matter. For example, a 3-foot cable of some premium-brand 12-gauge will sound just like a 3-foot cable made with 12-gauge copper wire from a hardware store.