Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cable Size / Connectors You Use??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Aug 16, 2003.

1. 20 Gauge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 18 Gauge

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  3. 16 Gauge

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  4. 14 Gauge

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  5. 12 Gauge

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  6. Bigger than 12 Gauge

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. 1/4" Mono/Stereo/TSR

8 vote(s)
    61.5%
  8. Speakon

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  9. Banana Plugs

5 vote(s)
    38.5%
  10. Bare Wire / Other

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    What gauge speaker cable do you use and what kinds of connectors do you prefer?

If you've upgraded to a bigger (smaller number) gauge cable and/or started using different connectors, please tell us the differences you've heard!

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    I have a 3 foot 16 gauge ProCo/LiveWire cable with G+H 1/4" connectors.

I also have a homemade cable with about 14 in. of 14 gauge Home Depot cable and Switchcraft 1/4" connectors.

The two cables sound exactly the same to my ears.

3. I use 2 core mains cable. Cheap, comes in a paper and cotton shield, with either XLR or 1/4" (6.5 mm) ends. Make em yourself. ;)

:D:D

Merls

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I use the fattest cables I can find.

The only speaker cables I have now with Speakons are 25 and 50 footers for PA use.

I expect to use Speakon more in the future as I need to buy new cables; none of my bass amps use Speakons but my powered PA mixer and most of my cabinets do.

I expect Speakons will totally replace 1/4" in new gear over the next 5 years.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't know how to convert into gauge (get metric dammit :D )

4 mm² Klotz cable and Neutrik plugs, custom soldering by JMX.

6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    If a mod happens to want to edit the poll:

12 AWG = 4.17mm²
    14 AWG = 2.08mm²
    16 AWG = 1.31mm²
    18 AWG = 0.82mm²

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    1/4 ''

8. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Neither my amp or cab can take a Speakon (Carvin/Avatar rig), so I use 1/4" 12 gauge. Thickest stuff I can find premade, although Sam Ash is the only place I can find it.

9. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I use banana plugs with 16 guage wire that is just barely long enough to reach from the amp to the speaker. I would've gone with a lower guage wire but radio shack didn't have any.

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've always used 1/4" jacks until I bought an iAMP 800 head which uses speakons. Then I had to make all kinds of special arrangements...

If I'm using the iAMP 800 head with my two Eden 2-10 XLTs (no speakons), I use a speakon to banana.

If I'm using the iAMP head with my EA CXL 1-12L cab, then I use full speakon cables.

If I'm using my GK 1001rb head with any thing other than GK cabs ( I don't have any GK cabs), I just use 1/4" Monster.

*@#! this gets complicated!