Speaker Cable Size / Connectors You Use??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Aug 16, 2003.

1. 20 Gauge

0 vote(s)
  2. 18 Gauge

1 vote(s)
  3. 16 Gauge

3 vote(s)
  4. 14 Gauge

5 vote(s)
  5. 12 Gauge

4 vote(s)
  6. Bigger than 12 Gauge

0 vote(s)
  7. 1/4" Mono/Stereo/TSR

8 vote(s)
  8. Speakon

3 vote(s)
  9. Banana Plugs

5 vote(s)
  10. Bare Wire / Other

1 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    What gauge speaker cable do you use and what kinds of connectors do you prefer?

If you've upgraded to a bigger (smaller number) gauge cable and/or started using different connectors, please tell us the differences you've heard!
  2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    I have a 3 foot 16 gauge ProCo/LiveWire cable with G+H 1/4" connectors.

I also have a homemade cable with about 14 in. of 14 gauge Home Depot cable and Switchcraft 1/4" connectors.

The two cables sound exactly the same to my ears.
  3. I use 2 core mains cable. Cheap, comes in a paper and cotton shield, with either XLR or 1/4" (6.5 mm) ends. Make em yourself. ;)

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I use the fattest cables I can find.

The only speaker cables I have now with Speakons are 25 and 50 footers for PA use.

I expect to use Speakon more in the future as I need to buy new cables; none of my bass amps use Speakons but my powered PA mixer and most of my cabinets do.

I expect Speakons will totally replace 1/4" in new gear over the next 5 years.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I don't know how to convert into gauge (get metric dammit :D )

4 mm² Klotz cable and Neutrik plugs, custom soldering by JMX.
  6. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    If a mod happens to want to edit the poll:

12 AWG = 4.17mm²
    14 AWG = 2.08mm²
    16 AWG = 1.31mm²
    18 AWG = 0.82mm²
  7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Neither my amp or cab can take a Speakon (Carvin/Avatar rig), so I use 1/4" 12 gauge. Thickest stuff I can find premade, although Sam Ash is the only place I can find it.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I use banana plugs with 16 guage wire that is just barely long enough to reach from the amp to the speaker. I would've gone with a lower guage wire but radio shack didn't have any.
  9. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've always used 1/4" jacks until I bought an iAMP 800 head which uses speakons. Then I had to make all kinds of special arrangements...

If I'm using the iAMP 800 head with my two Eden 2-10 XLTs (no speakons), I use a speakon to banana.

If I'm using the iAMP head with my EA CXL 1-12L cab, then I use full speakon cables.

If I'm using my GK 1001rb head with any thing other than GK cabs ( I don't have any GK cabs), I just use 1/4" Monster.

*@#! this gets complicated!