Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cable: Speakons and Bananas

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by seamus, Apr 11, 2002.

1. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Hi all,

I just got a new speaker cable to use, but I'm not real familiar with banana plugs. The cable is a speakon (from amp) to dual banana plugs (to cab).

I noticed the polarity markings on the red and black recepticals on the cabinet, but one the cable, I do not see any markings on the banana plugs at all.

Is polarity an issue with how I connect the bananas to the cab? I tried it both ways, and seem to get normal sound either way I insert the plug.

I just want to make sure I connect it properly since I assume the polarity markings on the cabinet are there for a reason. Thanks in advance for anyone that can help. :)

Here's a pic for reference:

[​IMG]

2. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Bump. Sorry I can't answer this one, Seamus, but I'd sure like to know where you got that cable. I need one just like it.

3. I'm not sure if this is the same (it should be), but most banana plugs have a ridge on one side. The general convention is that the ridge goes to the negative (black) binding post on the amp or cab. To confirm this, the black wire from the cable should go to the side with the ridge on the connector. From an electrical point of view it doesn't matter if you're only using one cabinet. If you're using two cables like that to power two cabinets, they just need to be the same or your cabinets will have reversed polarity. This means the while the speakers on one cab are moving out, the speakers of the other are moving in. This will make your amp sound like an AM radio..... Too much info, I'm sure.

4. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Spacegoat,

That's good info, thanks! I believe there is indeed a ridge on one plug as you had mentioned. Just to be correct, I'll run that side into the negative post. I've never dealt with bananas before, so I appreciate the feedback.

rockindoc,

I got the cable from this online retailer: Sweetwater

I did a search at their site for cables like the one I bought, and here's a link to that: Pro Co Fat Max There's 2 pages there, I think the one I got is the first cable on the 2nd page of the search.

Ignore the prices that come up on the right, they're list. Once you actually add the item to your cart, I think that is when the sale price comes up. I think the one I bought was $32, and it's a very robust cable. I got the 6 footer.

Their prices are not the most competitive I've seen around, but their customer service is positively top notch. Also, I had a hard time tracking down a speakon to dual banana speaker cable that was as sturdy as this one. Though not a prestige brand, I trust the Pro Co stuff, it's never let me down.

5. rockindoc

rockindoc Daily Lama

Jan 26, 2002
    Bonham, Tx
    Thanks, Seamus. I had been looking everywhere! This looks like the ticket.

6. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Glad to help. They should have them in stock too. They shipped mine pretty quick.