Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cable

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by LDV, Sep 6, 2003.

1. LDV

LDV

Aug 2, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    From the amp to the cabinet...what are your favorites??

2. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Home made.

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Phil Jones Bass (www.philjonesbass.com) makes some of the best cables around. From your bass to your rig, there's nothing better than George Ls. When it comes to your rig, use PJB...bottom line!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Homemade.

Klotz cable or similar and Neutrik plugs. As good as it gets and fully serviceable.

5. I still like the monster cables. I dig the George Ls, but they don't seem to take the pounding... I also like it if my monster cable takes a dump I walk into GC and walk out with a new one for free.

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ProCo Guardian Fat Max.

7. Obsolex

Obsolex Guest

Nov 17, 2002
    Neutrik plugs/cables own...

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Homemade.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Went to ProCo FatMax's a few months ago.....nice stuff with 20 year replacement warranty -

[​IMG]

10. Homemade using Switchcraft and 16 Gauge lamp (zip) cord.

Chris

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Spectraflex from my bass to my amp. A cable is a cable. Or, it could be that I am not an experienced enough bass player to hear the difference.

Homemade from amp to cabs.

-Mike

12. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Home made with good cable and good connectors. Unless it is an especially low wattage, or high wattage, use then I use 14ga stranded 2-conductor with the best jacket, insulation, and strain relief that I can get without going nutz.

As for instrument cables it is really up to your ears. Cables have capacitance, capacitance acts as a tone control. Too much capacitance makes your cable into a fixed tone control, cutting highs and maybe more. I like Canare GS-6 and good connectors like Neutrik or Canare. They really do sound better. I started using these materials for high impedae interconnects and they happen to make first-class instrument cables without a huge price tag.

But if you are rolling off a lot of highs anyhow it won't be a big deal.