Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cables?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by progplayer, Dec 28, 2001.

1. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    For the WT-600 I need to use banana plug speaker cables. Which is very very new to me. I have a monster cable version and another one that is a no name brand that came with the Eden (just says quality speaker cable). Both are gold tipped. The one that came with the Eden is only 3ft long. The monster cable is 10ft long.

I always was told use the shortest length possible and the lowest gauge? How do you determine the gauge? These cables are the same thickness as an instrument cable so is this 18g?

What kind of speaker cables u guys use?

2. I use home-made cables exclusively.. my current speakercables are 2x4mm silverwire.

3. I know going to 12-gauge wire on my stereo made a huge difference so I use 8ft, 12-gauge cables I made myself with the same speaker wire from Home Depot rather than the 16-gauge ones I got with my amp. The gauge should have been indicated on both of your cables. E-mail to Eden and Monster should get you the info. However, if one cable is a smaller gauge than the other, A-B ing the 2 of them should tell which is the better one. All things being equal, the lower gauge cable should have noticeably better mids and highs. Also, the difference between a 3ft and a 10ft cable of the same gauge should be unnoticeable. Cheers.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's true: the shorter and thicker the conductors in the cable, the better. The shorter length of the Eden cable gives it an advantage of approximately 5 gauge sizes over the 10-foot cable. In other words, a 3-foot #16 AWG cable would be very nearly the same electrically as an 11-gauge 10-foot cable.

You can't determine a speaker cable's gauge by comparing it to the size of an instrument cable.

I use 12-gauge stranded copper zip cord, about 20 inches long, with a dual banana plug on the amp end and a 1/4" plug on the speaker end (although I plan to convert the speaker connection to Speakon).

5. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    speakon vs bananna cable? what's the difference?

6. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    No, Speakon versus 1/4". More reliable, sturdier, and better power handling.

7. bassboat

bassboat

Sep 27, 2001
    1/4" phone plugs were never designed for power transfer applications. They were
    invented for telephone switchboards. They are okay, IMHO, for up to 400 watts power. More than that, go for speakons. And if you have a choice, go for the speakon connectors always. Bannana connectors are good, but are outlawed in Europe because they can be confused with power connectors in some countries.

8. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Monster Speaker cables work great.

I don't have the specs handy. They run about $20 for 3' long cables.

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    You probably mean 3 feet, right? Or are they Spinal Tap cables? ;)

Is that price for Speakons on each end?

10. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    I got a Monster Standard 100 10ft bannana cable for $18. I assume this is a cheap speaker cable huh.... hmmmm. I know the one the Eden came with that is 3ft long costs about $13....

i don't know, as long as it works i'll be happy

11. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Ooops. Thanks Bob. Fixed it.

Yep, 3' cables with gold 1/4" phone jacks at each end.

Bought locally in Honolulu.

12. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    How many of those cables do you get for $20?

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Wow. What's the general formula for this? I'm very suprised by the difference. I guess it's a factor of three in length, so that's about 5 guages in terms of cross-section? (uh...is conductance proportional to x-section? I should know this. :) OK, right, in terms of area).

There's some limit to this too right, because a real skinny cable, no matter how short, won't be able to carry the current of a bigger one. Don't know at what points this comes into play however.

14. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
  15. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Yes, conductance (the reciprocal of resistance) is proportional to cross-sectional area and inversely proportional to length.

Three gauge size increments represent a doubling of the wire's cross-sectional area. Therefore, #10 AWG wire is four times bigger in that respect than #16 AWG. If you want a reference point, 10-gauge copper wire has a resistance of 1.018 milliohms per foot.

There's no limit. Sure, skinny wire has more resistance, so it would dissipate (that is, waste) more power (P = I^2 * R) as heat. In a fuse, there's a short piece of skinny wire, and if the current reaches a certain point, it'll dissipate enough heat to melt itself. In that case there's a limit. And if you had skinny enough speaker cables with enough current going through them, you could feel them get warmer; hopefully they wouldn't get so warm that they smoke or melt the insulation or ignite anything.

If the resistance of your speaker wire is low enough that it wastes only maybe 0.5% of the power to the speaker, you don't have to worry about it.

16. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    Looks like i bought the cheapest speaker cable by monster. darn it! I hope it is ok for my Eden...

Anyway I have two 10ft Studio 1000 pro speaker cables with the standard 1/4" plugs. I can't use them with my eden (unless there is an adaptor to change them into bananna). Anyone want them? I know I paid $40 each for them.....or something...

let me know...

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    The best deal in speaker cables are ones you make yourself, if you know how to cut and strip wire and if necessary, solder. But if you don't know how and need to buy pre-made cables, you can get very high-quality ones made by ProCo, Horizon Music, Whirlwind, and others for a lot less money because they don't carry the sizable marketing/advertising/overblown-claims/BS surcharge. ;)

18. progplayer

progplayer

Nov 7, 2001
    so monster is OVERRATED! :p i thought so, any company that needs to advertise as much as they do well, u know....

19. VicDamone

VicDamone

Jun 25, 2000
    I don't feel Monster Cable is over rated compaired to some other high end cable manufactures which Monster competes with. Some of whom price thier product at $1-4000 an 8ft. pair! That's what I call over rated. As long as there are people who are willing to shell out that kind of giedus for wire, I say power to'em.

Remember Monster was one of the first to market this stuff and consequently they've diversified into car and home audio, pro home (contracted) and pro (musical) audio, custom termination, plus digital and now power conditioning. With all these products it would be foolish not to advertise.

If anybodys system sounds good to them using 18AWG zip cord and 1/4" phone plugs that's just as cool as the folks who spent four grand for the garden hose wire.

20. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    ... Monster Cable is overrated.

:D