1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker Cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SixString, Aug 3, 2002.

  1. SixString


    Jul 20, 2002
    I just bought a SWR bass 350 head and in the manual it says something like this "Do not use cables that you would use on your instrument to connect to your speaker" Right now to connect my head to my cab i'm using a fender instument cable the same one i used to use to conenct my bass to my combo amp is this a bad thing? Are Cables realy the important?
  2. JMX

    JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

    Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You won't hurt anything, but it's recommended to use speaker cable. Keep the length at a minimum, and use a thick cable, e.g. 2mm²
    (or 4 mm² if you can). You'll loose signal power in a too long and/or thin cable. It can also heat up considerably.
  3. boobinga


    Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Definitely buy a cable labeled "speaker cable." The shorter the better. Now as to what brand, type, etc. that seems open to discussion! Good Luck!
  4. SixString


    Jul 20, 2002
    I just went out to a local music store. The speaker plugs i saw didnt look liek they would connect to my amp. It is suposed to have the some type of connection as an instument cable or am i pluging it into another jack?
  5. Captain Awesome

    Captain Awesome

    Apr 2, 2001
    You want a speaker cable with 1/4" connectors. Those cables can be found at any music store. The connectors and jacks look exactly the same as instrument connectors and jacks. The cable itself is different, as it is designed to handle the high power from an amp's speaker output.
  6. lo-end


    Jun 15, 2001
    The cable construction is different. Instrument cables are shielded coaxial cables, while speaker cables are unshielded with the conductors side by side. Personally, I'd recommend making your own. If you know how to solder, just get some regular 14 or 16 gauge lamp cord and a couple of mono 1/4" phone plugs and you're in business.

    If you want to see a good flame war between Psycho Bass Guy and Bob Lee on the subject of speaker cable, (oh boy :rolleyes: ) then do a search.
  7. Marley's Ghost

    Marley's Ghost Supporting Member

    Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    There are also high output connectors called Speakons. These are different than standard 1/4 connectors and are only used by some high end amps. This may be what you found in the store. :)

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.