Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker Cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SixString, Aug 3, 2002.

1. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    I just bought a SWR bass 350 head and in the manual it says something like this "Do not use cables that you would use on your instrument to connect to your speaker" Right now to connect my head to my cab i'm using a fender instument cable the same one i used to use to conenct my bass to my combo amp is this a bad thing? Are Cables realy the important?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You won't hurt anything, but it's recommended to use speaker cable. Keep the length at a minimum, and use a thick cable, e.g. 2mm²
    (or 4 mm² if you can). You'll loose signal power in a too long and/or thin cable. It can also heat up considerably.

3. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Definitely buy a cable labeled "speaker cable." The shorter the better. Now as to what brand, type, etc. that seems open to discussion! Good Luck!

4. SixString

SixString

Jul 20, 2002
    I just went out to a local music store. The speaker plugs i saw didnt look liek they would connect to my amp. It is suposed to have the some type of connection as an instument cable or am i pluging it into another jack?

5. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
    You want a speaker cable with 1/4" connectors. Those cables can be found at any music store. The connectors and jacks look exactly the same as instrument connectors and jacks. The cable itself is different, as it is designed to handle the high power from an amp's speaker output.

6. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    The cable construction is different. Instrument cables are shielded coaxial cables, while speaker cables are unshielded with the conductors side by side. Personally, I'd recommend making your own. If you know how to solder, just get some regular 14 or 16 gauge lamp cord and a couple of mono 1/4" phone plugs and you're in business.

If you want to see a good flame war between Psycho Bass Guy and Bob Lee on the subject of speaker cable, (oh boy :rolleyes: ) then do a search.

7. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    There are also high output connectors called Speakons. These are different than standard 1/4 connectors and are only used by some high end amps. This may be what you found in the store. :)