Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker cables

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by handlax14, Sep 8, 2002.

1. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    i was just wondering if ther was ne difference between speaker wires. and if so which ones are the best and which ones are cheap. cause im broke but i need one for my new Avatar 4x10

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Horizon makes good-for-the-price cables. Mine's been great so far and they are easily accessible from any music store. Go as short as possible and get 16 gauge or lower.

brad cook

3. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    You can always save money by purchasing 14-2 SJ extension cord and attaching the connector of your choice.

Kim

4. 'Cmon. Spend a little now. Save alot later.
    These are the best cables available and have a lifetime warranty...

PRO CO FAT MAX

...Or use regular Lamp cord.

5. is it the thicker the wire the better???...i am using wire that is mainly for car stereo, you know the pink figure 8 stuff...must be rated at like 40 amps

6. rok51

rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    In theory, thicker (lower gauge) is better. But, you still have to coil it, carry it and have some form of connector on the end(unless you plan to use bare wire on binding posts). The lower gauge the wire (larger conductor), the more current it can carry, all other things being equal. The lower the frequency, the greater the current demand for a given volume, so within reason, going to a lower gauge wire is prefered to be able to handle that current, especially when amplifying low frequencies. The damping factor may also be better with a larger conductor. For the frequencies we deal with in bass, I have never seen the need for the "botique" cables. I'll continue to "roll my own" and save the bucks.

Kim

7. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    where can i buy cable and 1/4'' connectros?

8. Home made is a lot cheaper and just as good probably, but I use Monster Cables. I have a regular series (can't remember what it is called, like 500 or something) 1/4 to 1/4 and a Studio line speakon to speakon. No complaints, and they sound pretty good, also feel well built.

jtbp

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You can buy excellent cable really cheap (c. 30 to 50 cents / ft) at a hardware or electrical supply store, Home Depot, et al. Get two-conductor stranded copper wire. The stuff in the round rubber jacket is usually the easiest to handle, coil up, and such. The longer your cable is, the thicker the wire gauge has to be. If it's only, say, a foot long, go ahead and use 18 or 16 gauge. Up to 3 or 4 feet, use 16 or 14 gauge for an 8-ohm cabinet, or 12 gauge for a 4-ohm cab.

You can buy 1/4" plugs at electronic hobby shops, Radio Shack, Parts Express(www.partsexpress.com), music stores (they might tend to be pricey at a music store), et al.

It's cheap. Make a few spares so that your band's not stuck the next time your guitar player forgets or loses his cable.

10. handlax14

handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    Connecticut
    thanx for all the help guys i think im going to try to make my own. this will require sodering though wont it? well i guess id have to learn eventually ne ways. thanx again

11. Link to SpeakerHole

I buy Speakon cables from these guys. They sell 12/4 cable for dirt cheap, and it is very nice quality. I cannot build them for as cheap as I can buy them here.

12. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Man!!!!.....I went to the Speakerhole site, and their prices are great........anybody know what kind of drivers the Madison line of cabinets use? Thanks for the link Bgavin!

13. Damn! I just spent $32 at Speakerhole. Thanks for the link.