Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker cabnet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by austin01bmx, Jan 8, 2002.

1. austin01bmx

austin01bmx

Jan 8, 2002
    is it possible to make a speaker cabnet out of stereo subwoofers like the ones in a car's stereo system.

any advice on speaker cabnets for the poor is aprieciated :confused:

2. Do you mean a driver with a dual voice coil?

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Is it possible? yes. Do you want to? Probably not. Car audio subwoofers are designed to fit in very small boxes, and so are very inefficient usually. They also usually aren't good at (or don't) producing frequencies above 200Hz or so. You'd have to add a midrange, which would complicate things quite a bit.

4. :eek: Buy a 3 kW subwoofer and a 3 kW amp and you're in business. Oh, and while you're at it, add a "normal" bass rig too. Ask Bgavin about it.

If you can't afford the right stuff, stay away from car subwoofers.

My 0.02

5. I gig with two 1x15 Rockford RFR-2215 subs bi-amped with two JBL E110. I drive my subs with a QSC 3,000 watt amp. But, I would have a 3,000 watt amp even if driving high efficiency cabs like the Edens... Watts are cheap, and it pays to have the extra head room.

The Rockfords are indeed very inefficient at 89 SPL 1w/1m and roll off at 200 Hz according to my real time analyzer. Each driver operates in 5.4 cubic feet net volume, or 20x20x31 inches exterior dimensions. Each weighs about 150 pounds due to fabrication with 3/4" MDF and heavily braced. Each driver cost me $200 on eBay, but this model is no longer produced. The current production model is RFR-3115 which has an awful sensitivity of 85.9 SPL because it is designed to operate in a smaller enclosure. The good news is my subs are dead flat to 31 Hz and deliver the chest crushing low end that isn't available in commercial cabinets.

If/When I do it again, I will use the 18" Adire Maelstrom drivers instead of Rockfords. The Maelstrom drivers are rated at 92.9 SPL and move a tremendous amount of air. I correspond with the design engineer and he says they have a frequency plot that extends above 1 KHz. You will always need a mid-bass driver when using subs.

Bi-amping and active crossovers are also facts of life when using subwoofers as the only low frequency component of your rig. The low and high frequency components produce different loudness levels which can be adjusted with the active crossover, as can the crossover frequency.

Passive crossovers are inappropriate here due to their bulk, cost, and difficulty in design and construction. It also helps to have an equalizer in your rig. You will need a rack to mount all this equipment and perhaps a friend to help you unload it from your vehicle.

Don't bi-amp if you are poor.

:D

6. Amen! :D

The moral of this story: don't get into subwoofers if you're not able or willing to put serious amounts of cash in it.