Speaker Cabs for 400+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by miktit, Apr 15, 2001.

1. miktit

miktit Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    I own a Mesa Boogie 400+
    I play it through a Trace Ellieot 4x10" (no tweeter)
    and an old Kustom 15".
    I'm playing a Fender Jazz Bass from 1977 with maple fingerboard.
    My current cabs, make the sound very "hard", and not as warm as i know my tube amp has got.
    I've tried an SWR Goliath Sr which got more mids and warmer tone than my current setup. I really like the bass sound of Jamiroquai, and I think this speaker cab has it.
    My concern is of course if the Goliath is too bulky for some gigs, and if I should rather go for two cabs instead of one.

Does anybody have other suggetstions for speakers for the 400+?
  2. killer B

killer B

Apr 18, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ USA
    I use a 400+ with road ready MESA/Boogie 4x10 & 1x15 cabs. Great tone. And new Boogie cabs are using PAS drivers (which of course is what SWR uses) for the tens at least I think the 15's are still EV (which are amazing sounding 15's) but I think the build quaility of the Boogie cabs is much better than SWR's.
  3. Try a Mesa 2x15. Best cabinet I have ever played through.
  4. Jman

Mar 24, 2000
  5. The bassist from Jamiroquai has a Mesa/Boogie Basis M-2000 (so do I) and a Mesa/Boogie Powerhouse 1000 Cabinet (so do I). Speaking from a first hand basis, I can tell you that running your 400+ into one of these cabs will definitely improve the sound and to get that warm tone you're questing after. The cabs you are using are hindering your playing and SWR isn't even close to the quality of a Mesa/Boogie cab.
  6. jugdish

May 25, 2000
    Orange County
    I run a 2x15" roadready with the 400+ and a 2x10" for practicing. The roadready is a beast, has taken every kind of abuse imaginable plus it sounds great!!!