Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker cabs

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by dave venus, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Could someone please give me some help in choosing speaker cabs.
    The situation is that I play in a band that does mainly pop/rock/party type numbers. Our guitarist is the usual Les Paul freak who has to have the amp turned up to 11 to get the sound he likes with the result that eveyone else has to wind up to be heard.
    At the present time my gear consists of an "Acoustic" 370 amp which I play through a Marshall 4x12, 16ohm impedance cab (yes, I know it's madness, but it was cheap), and I'm looking to replace the enclosures with something like a 4x10 and a 1x15.
    What I'm really looking for is something that is not only reasonably loud, but can be felt as well as heard. At present, this beautiful amp is just too much for the existing speaker set-up and the bottom end just doesn't exist.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully considered.
    Ta. D.V.

2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    HI Dave,

sorry to say I know very little at all abut the Acoustic 370 - isn't that what Jaco used to use? So I've no idea what cabs will be well matched. It's probably worth taking your amp into a shop and trying some things out - is there still a sound control in Newcastle? check in there! :)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

3. Thanks Steve, yeah there is a Sound Control in Newcastle and I probably will get something from them. Having done a little research myself, I believe that the cabinet that used to be used with this amp is called a Vega, and consists of a single 18" driver house in a folded horn enclosure (whatever that is) which used to be about 4.5ft high, but as this is a 70s amp, and, I believe, quite a famous one, the chances of picking up one of these cabs in good working condition seems remote. Maybe I can get something made.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Dave Venus

4. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Dave,

it might be worth looking for some jaco-obsessed muppet that you can off-load the head to for a grossly inflated sum, and then get yourself something more compact... ;)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk