1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Speaker choice 10"

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by snowdan, Aug 30, 2007.

1. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i have this nice empty 75liter internal volume 210 cab with tweeter,(not empty actually but no great speakers in there...), tuned to 60hz.

which speakers would you throw in for replacement?

eminence::

alpha, beta, deltalite, delta 10a.

the 1st tow cost half of what the latter two cost.

how about the betas ie.? winisd simulation looks normal.

i would be happy if the result was about what you can get from mid price stock cabs. say the nemesis 210.

2. The Carvin replacement woofers aren't bad at all. We built a 4x10 a while back with them and it was impressive

3. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
  5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The Betas are pretty nice.I have them In a Dr Bass cabinet and they have good bottom and very good mids.I don't know if they would work in your sized cabinet but they are good speakers.If they work in the winisd simulation I'd bet they would be fine.

6. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    right, advertised as car speaker. but in germany not uncommon among DIY cab builders.

bill, into how much mor bass spl does the ~1mm extra excursion of the deltalite compared to the beta result?

7. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Sensitivity is probably low in real-world terms, power handling too - the voice coil is rather dinky.

8. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    With a big enough hammer you can force a square peg into a round hole too. The wise man uses a round peg.

A lot. Download WinISD Pro Alpha and learn how to use the 'maximum power' function to determine displacement limited power with driver/cab combinations.

9. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i have tried but winisd pro alpha does not accept the TS paramters fpr the deltalite for whatever reason...might be my fault.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The help file tells you what order to enter parameters. WinISD Pro calculates other parameters based on that.

11. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    You can manually alter parameters for any driver in the databass by double clicking on each entry, it just won't save it.

12. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    i got it figured out how to put data into winisd finally.

i have now ordered basslite S2010s, deltalites aren't available at the moment here is seems.

i will run 250 watts into the cab, so the lower power handling will likely be no issue. plus they are super light, which i appreciate.

question: is the volume in winisd including the ports or do i have to add the port volume?

does that graph look OK or should this dip be avoided? right now the approx. 80liter cab is tuned to 56hz or something.

[​IMG]

13. snowdan

snowdan

Feb 27, 2006
    just put the basslites in. works very well, good tone and volume, about what i expect from a 210. matches my little mark 250 very well too in terms of power.
    the markbass is strong enough to drive the cab to its limit, but nor very far beyon.