Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker colliding W/Grill

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by B166ER, Apr 24, 2004.

1. The 15" cab i'm running with my 410 is hitting the grill on the cab whenever i'm slapping or hitting power notes on the E string, tuned to D. This happens when I clip, which does not happen unless there's a lot of signal. When i look at the speaker while kind of patting my strings the speaker will move even more than it ever has, not clipping or limiting of the amp. The speaker has become fairy scuffed from the grill and would probably not function later on. Does the grill need to be moved further from the speaker? Could the tube need to be replaced? Does my head not want to drive both cabinets? Or is there something else wrong? Thanks

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    You need to either tone down your RH-technique or the level of the bass knob or even better: Both. Over-excursion of your speaker is by no means a good thing. It can cause creasing or ripping of the drivers over time. An SM-500 is nice, but more power might be in order as well to keep you from clipping, or at least try adding some more mids to the signal to give you potentially better cut in a mix without needing more power. Try putting you Aural Enhancer more towardsthe left for some more midrange accent as well. :ninja:

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    I would move the grill. I've done that on several of my cabs. Once I had an EVX-180A in a Carvin 18" cab, and the excursion of the EV's is a lot greater than that of the original speaker. The speaker was bottoming out against the grill regularly as I'd thump the low B. First I just removed the grill, that completely and immediately solved the problem. Then I got a couple of 1/2" wood shims, and when I put the grill back I installed them between the grill and the cab. It worked perfectly. More recently I got a Crate BE-15 cab and put a good speaker in that, with the same results. Moved the grill out a half inch, problem solved.

4. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    True... But I think he's talking about the original speaker. Moving the grill will be only a temporary fix and not a real solution. Over-extending the speakers will eventually and permanently damage them. ;)

5. How does it damage the speaker though? What is actually over-extending the speaker? The clearance I had was only .25" and it needed more. My 10's are fine and hardly move at all. Could it just be the characteristic of a 15"?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. The speaker's going to blow anyway with all that driving it past its excursion limit. Actually, the grill may be helping by keeping the cone from flying out of the frame.

7. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay, yes I agree that in "most" cases, manufacturers will position the grill so it makes sense for the original speaker. With Avatar, I'm not so sure about that. All due respect to Avatar, 'cause they make some nice cabs, but don't they put "various" speakers in them, like Eminence's and so on? My guess is, they designed that cab long before they put any speakers in it. It's kind of a "one size fits all" cab for 15's. I'm pretty sure the Avatar folks didn't go measuring excursions before recommending 15's that would work with their cabs. I could be wrong though (stranger things have happened), but in this case I'd bet you're seeing the same effect I saw with my 18" EV. The speaker is designed to move "more" than the manufacturers had in mind, when they first designed the cab. Using a high-excursion speaker with more power doesn't necessarily mean it'll blow, now or ever.

Well, one way to find out is to just remove the grill. Who needs it anyway? You can play a gig without it, and if the speaker survives the night then it's probably okay, right?

8. It does seem that it's a various speaker deal with them because the cab demensoins for the b115(h), b212, and b410 are all the same. That says something. Probably just need the grill moved. :hyper:

9. Common sense then. Move the grill....if it hits again in a couple of weeks then you have a problem.