Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker combination?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt bass, Jun 20, 2004.

1. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    Hi there. I am currently playing through a Peavey Firebass and 4x10 cab. I love the definition that the 10's give me, but im looking for a bit more bottom in my rig.

I was thinking of possibly having a 4x12 cab with a 2x10 on top. Do you think that this you satisfy my need for bottom end.

I was thinking of 12's and not 15's as i have heard that with 12's, you have both the advantages of 15's and 10's, although i still want 10's on top for clarity.

Would this make sense, or am i just asking for back problems?

Cheers

Matt

2. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    Does it make sense? Yes, it would add some serious booty.

Are you asking for back problems? Mabye, I dont think ive yet seen a 412 without casters.

Unforseen problems? If your feeding the 412 and the 210 the same wattage,and there arent any great efficinecy differences, the 210 will just get buried by the 412. :meh:

Either go with that, a 212/210 combination, or a 115 for the lowend. At least try one out, go on, you know you want to! :p

Jack
    (15" speaker advocate) :bag:

3. I've got a 4x12 cab, as well as several 2x15's. For bottom end, nothing beats the 2x15. Weight, the 2x15 and the 4x12 are about the same.

A cheap 2x15 may sound muddy or less bright. The clarity of the mids will depend on the design of the cab and the quality of the speakers themselves. I put JBL 2226's into an old Sunn cab and they are very detailed. But the speakers alone were around $300 each.

Doing a plot on WinISD, in a 4x12 configuration, most cabinets are waaay undersized for optimum bass response.

4. matt bass

matt bass

Apr 28, 2003
    Staffs, England
    OK, how about keeping the 4x10 and adding a 4x12 under it?

Would the 10's still be lost in the mix?

Just for reference, the Firebass puts out 700 watts at 2 Ohms which is what i would plan on running it at.

If i was to stick with 1 cab, would a 4x12 a good all rounder?

5. I would suggest keeping the 410 and adding a 212 or a 115.

I have all three of these cab types I personally prefer the combination of the 410-212. I am looking forward to the opportunity to use all 3. LOOK OUT!

6. Sidecar666

Sidecar666

Mar 27, 2004
    You want low? Go with 4x18"s hahaha! I've even seen a 22" speaker before! Now that's low, baby! Seriously, you ever try out a 2x10 with an 18" or 15" under it? Maybe bi-amped and x-ed over for better defintion?