Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker combinations

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iruleonbass, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Hi, I think, I think, I have found the set up I want, my local shop can get orange stuff in, so I think im getting the only bass head they sell if I get the money. Now my question is, 2 410's, or 1 410 and 1 115, what are the advantages for both these rigs? My god I hope I just stay with this rig, and not stray off wanting something diffrent as I normally do. This one seems like a winner to me, the orange I mean.

Oh btw, the cabs, I think im going with orange also, the only other cabs the store im looking at has is SWR, an 810 and a 410, and im not big into SWR stuff, it sounds ok, but not really what im looking for. So I think i'll order orange cabs too I think.

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Just one thing, have you tried the Orange, and have you tried the Orange cabs? It's hella expensive gear. Especially if your going to be going with two cabs.

Also, what sound are you after? and what type of venues will you be playing?

3. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    The sound im going for, is more of a growly type tone, but not mids, its treble and presense thats turned up so its thick, witch I've heard the orange is, the guitar store locally doesnt' stock orange bass heads but they can order them from them.

Venues, im not sure where i'll be playing actually, I know there's big events at my school, And our band has a shot at playing warped tour, other than that, small clubs and things like that.

Right now this is all fantasy for me, but im gonna be saving all summer long up till around febuary for a new amp, so if I save right, i'll have around the 3000 mark, and I want an "amp for life" if you will, so im only planning on buying high end gear with that money.

the only other option I would consider would be ampeg's SVT810 and SVTCL, or mesa's walkabout 15 with extension 15, And there's a few other things, like more mesa gear I'd get too, but I think thats hitting like 3700 :bag: so thats a no for me.

4. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hmm, well fat and thick, and growly are two different things in my book. So you may want to try one out before you buy.

Look used, you can pick up a Mesa 400+ for around $600-700us, which is a very nice amp. Fender Bassman Pro 300/Sunn 300T's are nice tube amps (Same thing, Fender bought them and swapped badge). Theres tonnes of other good tube amps too(which seems to be the way your heading), i've just picked up a 400watt all tube Trace Elliot V8, it's a damn nice amp, but it's real hard to find..

Cabinet wise, I'd actually suggest looking into Schroeder or even something like Eden. They have a slight low mid bump to the tone which gives for a nice growl in the sound (If you want it).
    Mesa cabinets are nice, but I prefer the older Diesel series, which come up on Ebay quite often (Black grill). Most of these had EV speakers in them and I have no trouble getting nice growl out of my Mesa 1516 cab. I find Ampegs 810's get just a bit too muddy for my liking.

Anyway, I hope some of that helps. A big 300 watt tube amp is easily going to be loud enough for almost any gig paired with a sensitive 4x10 cab (like Edens and Schroeders). It's not a crime to look used, though just make sure the gear works fine, and if your buying off ebay the seller has good feedback, there are great deals out there that will save you heaps of $$$.

5. Iruleonbass

Iruleonbass

May 29, 2005
    New York
    Yes that helps to clear things up alot actually, I was looking on ebay about a month ago for the mesa 400+ and I saw somedeals I almost had to take right there, but held back only becuase I have no cab.

At this point I dont know what im going to get, but the choices have been narrowed down alot.