1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

speaker cone surround repair???????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottomend!, Mar 8, 2008.

1. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    I just bought a vintage cabinet and some of the speaker cones are looking a little brittle near the edges/surround. There appears to be some water spots on the cones so I'm assuming these became wet and then as they dried out, they started to become brittle. What product would be recommended to apply to the outer edge of the cone in order to prevent splitting/tearing of the surround area? Some kind of RTV sealent/glue?

I can see that the factory applied a nice glossy layer of glue/sealent ect to the surround and the outer most edge of the cones but the speakers that have the water damage appear to no longer have the glossy edge. I'm afraid if I play the speaker at any sort of volume I'll shred the cones! The cab is a nice old Acoustic 404 model with six 12" speakers.

The first pic is the speaker without any of the glossy edgeing. The second pic still has some gloss to it. I hope this helps!

Attached Files:

2. bottomend!

bottomend!

Oct 23, 2007
    here
    Heres a pic of the full rig. I now have two complete set-ups like this FWIW. These are VERY large cabs and I'm planning to load my second cab with a set of Eminence neo's.

Attached Files: