Speaker 'config'

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Microbass, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Heres the deallyo...

I have two laney 1x12 PA cabs of which I use for bass amplification.

i usually have them setup, one of top of the other, with the tweeters at the top of the cab.
    the tone wasn't anything to orgasm over. at all.

my brother's friend were using my amp and didn't put it back properly, so now the bottom cabinet sits on its side, with the tweeter at the top of the cab.

however, my tone is beautiful! i still lack punch and depth, but oh man! the harmonics ring out and everything is so crisp. i love it.

my question, does the way the speakers sit, affect tone??
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    for sure it does. It probably affects your stage sound more than changing brands.If I'm at a gig and can't quite get my sound right, I'll move the rig to another spot, or swap the speaker's around, move em higher or lower - each lot of speaker placement sounds different.
  3. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    This is mentioned a bit. Tipping cabs on their sides theoretically increases the coupling between the cab and the floor. Does it? I dunno.

I've always stacked mine sideways, but that's because I don't like having a tower taller than I am. On their sides they are more stable and less likely to tip. Does my paranoia give me better tone? I haven't the slightest.
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    yeah different positioning affects tone
    for example, i mostly use a bagend 15 and a bagend 12
    i use them stacked but at one practice i was being lazy and put them side by side
    the tone just wasnt there at all - stacking them (12 on top) made me smile
    also, you really do want your cabinets to go vertical even if it is taller than you
    they project better and you hear yourself much better with a speaker at ear level - also prevents you from turning up too loud just to hear yourself
    on some gigs i have used the bagends stacked on top of my aguilar 112 and smiled all night
    even if i used 4 cabinets i would stack them vertically (rather then 2 smaller stacks side by side)