1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Speaker Configurations Ranked By Surface Area

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The Diaper Geni, Jun 8, 2007.

1. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Does size matter??

jmain's (Jesse's) quest for another cab to compliment his 1x12 got me thinking: A few years ago BP had a list of speaker configurations ranked according to speaker surface area. Smallest to highest.

Anybody have this list or a similar one? I personally don't recall the rankings, but I do recall being surprised.

2. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    If I had to guess, I would say PJB has the most surface area with many tiny 5" cones, but that's just common sense - I'd like to see this list also!

Note: Surface area doesn't mean better sound.

3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    That was one of the most useless and misleading things BP ever published. I'd rather it wasn't repeated here.

Alex

4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    To answer the next question, why Alex has this opinion, cone area (Sd) in and of itself says very little. As far as high frequencies go a larger cone will have lower sensitivity and narrower dispersion than a smaller one, so there's some comparative value there. As far as low frequency output goes cone area alone says nothing, it's displacement (Sd x xmax) that counts.

5. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Gotcha. So there's no "universal law", if you will, on surface area and tone?

6. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    No. Over a two year period I tried close to 70 guitar speakers...10s, 12s, and 15s. Manufacturer doesn't matter either. I've played through 10s made for a guitar amp and 15s made for hi-fi by the same company; the 10s were much louder and bassier.

7. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    what if someone compiled a list of speaker boxes in terms of displacement?:D...that would be a fun read.

8. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Need to add - driver to air coupling.
    i.e. Horn loaded designs and so much more efficient.

9. The Diaper Geni

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio

Uh, yeah. Sure. A fun read. :eyebrow: ;)

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021