Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker connection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terraplane, Nov 21, 2002.

1. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Hi, I've got a problem. I play with a Italian bass head, 280W @ 8 ohm and 430 @ 4 ohm. I've got a ampeg 1x15" speaker 200W rms. I want to use a speaker that can drive 800W RMS with the 200W ampeg. The problem is: the amplifier power is divided in two equal part? The 800W speaker can recive the same power of the 200W speaker, or the more powerful cabinet can get more power then the other? I've 2 jack connection fot the speaker, ther is a difference if I use oly one of this and connect che secondspeaker to the first ? In this way power will be better divided?
    Thank you,
    Michele

2. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    If the 800 W speaker has the same impedance as the 200 W speaker (that is, 8 ohms and 8 ohms, right?) then it will get the same power from the amplifier. The power rating of the speaker has nothing to do with that.

If the second speaker is 4 ohms, however, it will get more of the amplifier's power. But in that case the total load on the amp would be only 2.67 ohms, and that would probably be a bad idea, because it sounds as if your amp is only rated down to 4 ohms.

Short answer: if your current Ampeg speaker is 8 ohms, make sure your second speaker is 8 ohms also, and then the power will be split equally.

The other issue that comes up is that one of your speakers may be more *efficient* than the other. This means that even if both are getting the same power, one may sound louder, because it may be converting the power to acoustic output (volume) more efficiently. This isn't necessarily a problem; I just thought I'd point it out.

There's no difference between those two ways of connecting a speaker. Either one yields a parallel connection, which would mean that 8 ohms + 8 ohms = 4 ohms total.

3. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    Now, the 800W speaker is much more efficiente than the other one, and the problem is that i want to get the maximum power by the first speaker! Is possible to get more power in the fist cabinet? What you suggest to resolve the problem? The problem is that 200 of my Watts can sound very loud, and 200W a more less loder than the first...i lost power this way! What can I do? thanks,
    michele

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    How do you know that the second speaker is more efficient? Are you assuming that because of the greater power handling? Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding you, but just because a speaker can handle more power, that does not make it more efficient. (Sometimes, though not always, greater power handling is associated with *less* efficiency.)

I don't know of any way to ensure that your 1st speaker gets more power. I didn't understand what you meant about losing power with the 2nd speaker.

5. terraplane

terraplane

Oct 14, 2002
    Italy, Palermo
    I know that the second speaker is less efficient, not for the RMS power, but by the sound! The head sound much and much louder with the first ,, th 800W speaker, than with the 200W speaker at 8 ohm. I've tested It, so i suppose that. The 200W cabinet is a 15" with no horn ampeg classic, the other is a modern 4 X10" cabinet with horn, a italian one, called Markbass, a more eden-swr like speaker

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    OK, I was confused about which one was the 1st speaker and which one was the 2nd. No problem.

The bottom line is that as far as I can tell, there's no economical way of making more power go to one of the speakers. The only way I can think of--aside from inserting some kind of power attenuator, which would take away power--would be to hook up a second power amp and have one amp drive each cabinet. Then you could easily adjust the relative volumes until you get the blend you want. Is that something that might be an option for you? If not, I don't think there's a good way to do what you want to do with your mono amp.

7. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    moved to amps