Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

speaker deal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Mar 23, 2003.

1. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    What online retailer has the best deals on raw frame speakers? I'm looking into an 18. Are the cheapo brands (Madison, Goldwood, Pyle, Selenium) really that bad? I have a ported 4.08 cubic foot box on the way that I need to load.

2. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
    PDX
  3. I can definately recommend Parts Express. Their house brand speakers (Dayton) are good values but they also carry more expensive lines.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I didn't see an 18" Dayton there. Does anybody have experience w/ their other brands?

edit - never mind it's on pg 2!

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    I've built two cabs using Madison speakers. Both sound great (IMO) and are solid. I did buy the better 15" since it was still a bargain. The power handling capability and range was as advertised and I am not disappointed.

good luck with it!

6. 4.08 cubic feet (net) internal volume is a perfect match for an Eminence Magnum 18LF or a JBL K151.

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Cool! Thanks for the specific recommendations. The Eminence Magnum 18LF is $265, which is not out of the question, but I'm still interested in cheaper options, unless people say to avoid them. The PartsExpress Speaker Selection Wizard suggests the EV EVX-180B 18" EXTENDED SPEAKER ($465!) or the PYLE PRO PYM18128 18" CAST FRAME DRIVER ($148, much better).

Which of the many specs am I trying to match to find a good fit for this box?
    Has anyone tried the Pyle?
    The box has 2 4" ports, will I have to adjust these?
    Do any of these come in 4 ohms to get more juice out of my amp?

Thanks!

8. I can tell you and everybody else who NOT to try: www.rockboxx.com I ordered speakers for my 4 10 Laney cabinet. I've never gotten them, nor a response to my several inquiries. I just finished filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and am trying to file Internet fraud charges against them, too. Learn from my mistake and stay away from this company.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Try these . I have only used their 10" speakers so I don't know what the 18 is like. But if it's anything like the 10's you'll love em.

Edit:- I just realised the above link doesn't give you T/S parameters. Try This site.

10. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    Goatslayer--thanks for the info. hopefully that info gets around here so nobody makes that mistake and gets stung. so..you paid and still nothing?? and they are still up and running with practices like this? that's scary!
    good luck getting it sorted out.

11. Once you put it in the box, you'll have to live with it for a long time. I've had good luck with EV, JBL and Eminence. I really wouldn't recommend anything else.

12. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

The Dayton model is #295-085 "Prof. Sound Driver" And are excellent in our PA. I do not know how they are in a bass cab. They ARE made by Eminence for P.E.(I called) to their specs. & Cast frames..... I have a "Sonic" brand 1-18 with an EV driver in it, and it is OUTSTANDING.! See if you can find a raw EV on evilbay.

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Some of the Eminences end up being cheaper than the Dayton, how does that work? Also, nobody has mentioned Celestion yet. I know they're huge for guitar speakers, why not bass?

The specs I understand are wattage, ohms, frequency response, and db rating. What other #s should I be looking at to find a good fit for my box?