speaker dust cap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jondog, Nov 14, 2003.

1. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I bought a used speaker that sounds good, but somebody poked and ripped the center dustcap. Dustcaps are just cosmetic, right? Is there any way I could replace it? Or should I just remove what's left of it? It's a paper one. If it was just me, I'd remove it and leave it alone, but I might try to resell or trade this speaker at some point so I'd like it to look as good as possible.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    http://www.webervst.com says an Aluminum dust cap produces more highs then paper.

Beyond that I'm clueless.

Off Topic: Thanks again for the Zephyr! We just spent the day at DMV and it's legal like now! I've got a couple more tune up things and it's hitting the road.
  3. notanaggie

notanaggie Guest

Sep 30, 2003
    The dustcap is just that....it keeps stuff out of the space between the voice coil and the magnet.

Anything magnetic that gets in will stick to the magnet VERY tightly, and make the speaker rub and distort. Then you basically won't ever get rid of the rubbing until you recone the speaker and canclean out the gap with sticky tape etc.

A hard dustcap will *usually* increase highs also. That depends.

A hole in the dustcap can be a problem, but dustcaps can be replaced. Its a good idea if you want to have the speaker continue to work well.

I do know some folks who have taken off the cap for some reason and had no problems for years...its a crapshoot.

BTW, if you find a stuff called "speaker cement" (dunno if they still sell it, do not use it. its a hard glue that usually ends up causing a problem of buzzing.
  4. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Thanks for the info guys. Glad to hear Gertie is working out for you James. My van died after our gig last night, right after I loaded all the gear out. :-(

I did some online research and found that you're supposed to carefully remove the old dust cap and replace it w/ a slightly larger one. I ordered the cap and glue from www.partsexpress.com
  5. i would think it would also stop sound/air (that is out of phase) from behind the speaker coming out the front and interfearing with the front sound of the cab/speaker. this is mainly for bass speakers with the hole in the back of the magnet.