Speaker emulator boxes.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My band is getting pretty heavy into recording, and I could really use a magic box with some speaker simulation built in. We don't have the luxury of micing my cabs, and my preamp is missing just a little somthing when it's plugged directly into the board. Is there anything out there that does what I'm talking about?
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    IMO, no. The best thing I've found for going direct has been the sansamp RBI, which I think sounds good but not the same as a mic'ed cab. There are devices like the bass POD, and the Behringer whatever it's called, but I think they sound like crap.

recording gear.

edit: maybe just try a few really nice DI's in between your preamp and the board?
  3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
  4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think geddy lee uses a parker speaker simulator but it could be a different brand. Last i know he was using that, a demeter di, a sans amp of one kind or another. I think that's what he uses live now too. IMO, he gets great tone. Probably a google search will let you know what brand of simulator he's using so you can check it out.
  5. jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    2 Avalon U5 Direct Boxes
    2 SansAmp R.B.I. Bass preamps by Tech 21
    2 Palmer PDI 05 Speaker Simulators

(from the Rush website)

edit: Looks like the PDI-05 isn't made anymore, but I think the PGA 04 or PGA 05 is its successor. (one does a load, and the other doesn't)
  6. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I've used a PGA 04 which does load, meaning you can plug your amp speaker out into it and then DI it into a mixing board. I was going to get one for practicing but its not worth it for $500 US.

Check it out at http://www.palmerdirect.com/pga04f.htm

I'm not sure why Geddy runs a PGA 04 and a speaker cab (hidden under the stage purely as an amp load.) When the PGA 04's 8 ohm load would suffice.