Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker emulator boxes.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My band is getting pretty heavy into recording, and I could really use a magic box with some speaker simulation built in. We don't have the luxury of micing my cabs, and my preamp is missing just a little somthing when it's plugged directly into the board. Is there anything out there that does what I'm talking about?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    IMO, no. The best thing I've found for going direct has been the sansamp RBI, which I think sounds good but not the same as a mic'ed cab. There are devices like the bass POD, and the Behringer whatever it's called, but I think they sound like crap.

recording gear.

edit: maybe just try a few really nice DI's in between your preamp and the board?

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    H&K Red Box

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think geddy lee uses a parker speaker simulator but it could be a different brand. Last i know he was using that, a demeter di, a sans amp of one kind or another. I think that's what he uses live now too. IMO, he gets great tone. Probably a google search will let you know what brand of simulator he's using so you can check it out.

5. jonathanl

jonathanl

Jan 12, 2003
    Orinda, CA
    2 Avalon U5 Direct Boxes
    2 SansAmp R.B.I. Bass preamps by Tech 21
    2 Palmer PDI 05 Speaker Simulators

(from the Rush website)

edit: Looks like the PDI-05 isn't made anymore, but I think the PGA 04 or PGA 05 is its successor. (one does a load, and the other doesn't)

6. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    I've used a PGA 04 which does load, meaning you can plug your amp speaker out into it and then DI it into a mixing board. I was going to get one for practicing but its not worth it for $500 US.

Check it out at http://www.palmerdirect.com/pga04f.htm

I'm not sure why Geddy runs a PGA 04 and a speaker cab (hidden under the stage purely as an amp load.) When the PGA 04's 8 ohm load would suffice.