Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Speaker experts, I need some help!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassdadto2, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Replace drivers

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Recone drivers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Ok. I am trying to improve the performance of my 2x10 and matching 15, which are currently blown. I need some suggestions about what driver to replace Eminence Beta 10s with. I am hoping to get better performance, but spend less money than the $65 a piece price for reconing.

you can help me by looking at parst express (www.partsexpress.com)

Also, I want to know what would be the result if I used two 8 ohm drivers instead of 16 ohm, polypropolene instead of paper cones, whatever other advice you can give. Thanks!

2. I'd have the original speakers reconed, or would buy the same speakers as the original ones.

Putting different speakers in the cab gives an unpredictable result. Cabs are always designed for one specific brand and type speaker. Chances are you end up worse, even if the drivers are more expensive than the original ones.

Don't buy hifi or car subwoofers. Period. Although the difference may be hard to determine for a speaker newbie. There are a handful of people around here (including me) who can tell you why, and they can tell you right away if a speaker is suited for bass guitar.

Putting 8 ohms drivers in there is a good idea, but your amp will have to be able to handle it. On toppa that, it's best to have the same impedance (ohms) on both cabs, if you use 2 cabs.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

3. Bassdadto2

Bassdadto2

Dec 3, 2001
    California
    Yes this helps a lot!! Thanks!

4. Order brand new Beta 10s from Eminence. I'd only consider reconing if replacement speakers were hard to come by. You can order new Eminence speakers and have them in a couple days. They're not very expensive. Compared to the money you'd spend on a recone, you might as well just get new speakers.

Brian

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm with Joris. Don't know about recone/replace with same model however. No experience with reconing.