1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

speaker farting?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aron86, Apr 13, 2006.

1. aron86

aron86

Mar 14, 2006
    this is probably going to sound like a stupid question but i own a 4 10 cab with the speakers frequency range being 40hz-3.5khz. now at about the 7th fret on the E string the speakers sound as if they are farting out but i don't understand this becasue that note should be well in the frequency range of the cab, however, this doesn't happen with the other strings. i'm running active pickups on my bass with EQ... could it be possible i'm over EQing through my bass or what? i don't know, i'm kinda slow at these things. oh and it can't be the amp overpowering because it is not clipping and i'm only running 500 watts rms into the cab which is rated at 1200 rms. the amp does have the good old 9 band EQ so could i be over EQing there to? i don't know. somebody explain please.

2. You could be clipping your amp.

Does it have a "clip" light?

If that comes on, it's because you are EQ'ing too hard or because your gain is set too high.

Try turning down the gain, master, and EQ and see what that does.

3. aron86

aron86

Mar 14, 2006
    the amp has a clip light and it is not coming on hence why i said in my original post "it is not clipping".

4. aron86

aron86

Mar 14, 2006
    i mean would the 7th fret frequency just make a kinda farting sound as a natural thing at higher volumes because of the frequency or something. i don't know.

5. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    Maybe there is something wrong with one of the drivers in the cab?

6. Are you sure it's speaker fart and not just a resonant frequency of the bass or room or something? I always seem to make rooms shake even at relatively low volumes when playing the 'E' on the 7th fret.

Does it happen if you play the 12th fret on the 'E' string or 2nd fret on the 'D' string?

7. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Try the simple things first. What happens when you run all of your EQ flat?

8. If you have a problem with one note at one point on the fretboard, see if it goes away with a new set of strings.

If new strings don't help, consider changing your string brand.

I had a boom on a Yamaha on one string on one fret, and it didn't go until I moved from Rotosound to EB Slinkies.

I don't have a explanation, but I assume it is something to do with the way the truss rod sits in contact with the wood, or something along those lines.

9. aron86

aron86

Mar 14, 2006

i think you may be right. maybe it isn't an actual farting sound but sort of a buzzing frequency (i know some people will say that it is fret buzz but this is not what i'm experiencing). i will try the E 12 and the D 2. maybe i'm just paranoid about not getting the best sound possible.

10. aron86

aron86

Mar 14, 2006
    also can anybody explain a resonant frequency in depth to me?

11. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas

...or maybe a driver or something else has loosened and that one note is just the right frequency to really bring it out?

12. ukbassboy

ukbassboy

Mar 19, 2006
    UK
    Wiki - 'Acoustic resonance is the tendency of an acoustic system to absorb more energy when the frequency of its oscillations matches the system's natural frequency of vibration (its resonant frequency) than it does at other frequencies'

I.e. Every object has a natural resonant frequency which it finds easier to vibrate at than other frequencies. On a bass it may lead to an excessively loud note, where as (oddly and irrelevantly) on a helicopter at may shake itself to a rather dramatic destruction in only seconds!

13. jordanm

jordanm

Feb 24, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    He found it!! The brown note!! Thats not your amp farting buddy